1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
78 Posts
For $318, that would be the price for a remote start with installation already at best buy or your local stereo shops. around town. Only if it's a stand along remote start with keyless entry okay. For around $400, you can get the alarm with remote starter and keyless entry. Thou for $318, and you have to install it youself, that is a high price. Also, what brand of restarter is it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem with the factory remote start is it's good for about two car-lengths distance from your vehicle. For the same money, buy an aftermarket remote with two fobs that do everything your factory fob did, but the remote distance will easily be anywhere from 300 yards to a half-mile. There's just no comparing the two. I have the factory remote, and for no more than it's worth, I might as well just open the door and turn the key, I'm close enough anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you,
Does the remote starter have a shorter range then the cars key fobs do? Will the remote locks work at more distance then the remote starter? My fear of a aftermarket one is that other things wont work correctly. I had one put on my mothers subaru years ago and it was a nightmare, and never worked correctly and that was done by a shop.
Joe

·
Registered
296 Posts
The airbag and active seatbelt wires are bright yellow on all cars so you know not to touch them. But, you should really have the battery disconnected when you're doing this which renders this somewhat moot.

I did my own on my 04. I used a cheap bulldog brand one. Working well in year number three. Install was only ~10 wires, but like a yoga session. I don't have a transponder key, that makes it much easier.

For the money you're talking about, have someone put a third party, you should get a decent one for that price installed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We install a Clifford alarm w/ remote starter for our 01 ToyHi way back in 2002 and have not had any problem with it. It was pricey, but well worth it. The only thing I have done so far was getting two new remotes since last year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts