Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Platinum will be arriving in 2 weeks...

Wanted to know what everyone has done in terms of remote starter? I have heard the one from Toyota shuts off when the doors are opened, which seems like a real pain.
Is there a workaound for that or is everyone doing aftermarket remote starters.
If aftermarket, what brand?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
You are correct about the factory ones. They shut off when the doors are opened. Really stupid design in my opinon. I have a Viper 2 way in my 05 Tundra. A friend of mine did the install. He installed a Viper 2 way in his 2009 tundra as well. He has done a lot of installs of same brand with no problems. They work really well, have a great range and the 2 way signal back to the remote is awesome. That way you know when it is actually running. Cant say about any other brands though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'm wrong but I heard in today's alarms you have to constantly change the batteries in the key fob's.... Is that true?
It seems like factory fobs really never need to be changed.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The OEM is nice in that one remote controls it and the car doors but the range is pretty unimpressive.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but I heard in today's alarms you have to constantly change the batteries in the key fob's.... Is that true?
It seems like factory fobs really never need to be changed.
My remote has batteries that need to be changed. I would say once every 6 months or so at the very most but batteries are only a few bucks. New vipers however are rechargeable and require no batteries. They also have an LCD display. They also control the doors as well as start it. There is also the ability to add other options to the remote. Like remote window up or remote door close depending on the vehicle. Crew Limited did the install on mine and knows a lot more about what they can do than me. He is not on here a lot but if you pm him, I will let him know to check his messages. I am sure there are other members on here that can tell you more as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep - Purely disappointed in Toyota's remote starter.. Would have never paid for the option had I known that the truck would turn-off once you tried to enter the cab. If there's a way around that w/o buying an aftermarket unit I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at the viper 5901 for my '08 sequoia SR5, anyone have any suggestions on installers in the Joliet/Naperville, IL area?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts