Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a remote starter on their manual tacoma? I'd like to get ona and was wondering what is the best one to get.

thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not a good idea IMO in a manual. You'd have to somehow override the "clutch must be depressed" feature, and then you'd run into problems if you ever left it in gear. Your truck would run into things, and worst case, into people.

I think it's even difficult to find somebody to have it installed, as most shops will not want to take the risk.

The only responsible way to do this would be to implement some switch / circuit that requires the transmission to be in neutral for the truck to be started. Not sure if that exists, but I have never heard of it. And even with that, I sure would not rely on some homemade patch.

Bottom line --- this could become a very expensive add on --- either way. Probably not worth it.
BTW, what do you need it for? Have the truck pick you up at the front door of the supermarket? (just kidding) :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm also interested in this, nice awrm truck on those damn -20 mornings:D . I checked at Newmarket toyota and they said one wasnt available but there's one for the tundra, the parts guy didnt seem interested in helping me anyway. The best way to go, from what I've read on here, is to get an alarm/car starter system and override the "clutchstartcancel" button. That way u get an alarm and a starter for about the same price of either one alone. If you get one installed let me know where or how you did it.
TIA

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I had one on a 89 4 runner and what you have to do is when you are in the truck when you park it for the night you put it in nutral hall the hand break,then press the button on your remote lights flash 3 times get out of the truck and then shut off the truck and it is ready to start again. It is a bit of a trick but once you get use to it ,it is ok. MY son just bought a 2007 and he is putting one on now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will be getting one soon. Remote start and anti-theft. Going to have a local audio shop do it. No matter what, do not have Circuit City or Best Buy install them. There always seems to be a problem when they install it (I know because I work there in a diff department). It will actually be about another $75-$100 to have the clutch override. But since you have the clutch start cancel, that should be a bit easier for them to wire up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts