Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I will decline the factory remotestart accessory and get an aftermarket unit installed instead. The $700 toyota wants up here for for their units are outrageous compared to the Autostart units @ $250
I'm looking at the Autostart model Autostart as some models have an alarm system as well as remote start, and door locker that will work at great distance.

has anyone had any experience with remote start kits for our babies??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a remote start, sensing/movement alarm, door lock including tailgate lock and remote paging system when alarm goes off. This is all on the Ford F150 I am trading in as soon as my ordered TRD CrewMax comes in. I think I paid about $500.00 with installation. I cant remember the entire name of the system but part of it is AutoPage.

I will put the same system on the Toyota as soon as I get it. This sensing/movement alarm protects your truck bed if your hauling tools or a bike/motorcycle. Also the remote paging system is nice because your keyfob alerts you to the alarm going off. It works even when you are in a building.

Another benefit is once the truck is started you can remove the key, lock the truck and go into a store to buy something while the heat or AC is still running. This is a really nice feature.

I hope this helps.

JD

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Clifford systems in all my vehicles. There are several remote start options. You can pick up a 3.5RS for around 275.00.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I used a crimestopper coolstart remote starter in my other 2 tundras.
You are going to need a transponder bypass module because the 07 tundras have a transponder chip in the keys.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use Clifford systems in all my vehicles. There are several remote start options. You can pick up a 3.5RS for around 275.00.
Isn't Clifford the big red dog? I am sure he'll keep the truck safe.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You are going to need a transponder bypass module because the 07 tundras have a transponder chip in the keys.
Wouldn't that be defeating a large part of the security system? This seems like a big sacrifice to have remote start. Surely someone has a system that keeps it functional?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wouldn't that be defeating a large part of the security system? This seems like a big sacrifice to have remote start. Surely someone has a system that keeps it functional?
Most remote starts have that option...you have to give up your spare key.

Check with an installer before you decide.....I have an 07 Silverado for work and it sat at an install shop for a week before they figured out they did not have the parts to do an install since the model was so new.....they grumbled something about all these new models coming out with remote start as a factory option and how they are wired to make it difficult for you to go aftemarket...which is how they get away with charging $700 for a p.o.s. that only works for 80' because it's so difficult to get an aftermarket on in.

Anybody installed an aftermarket starter yet???

·
Registered
251 Posts
We tried..........Aftermarket So far is not an easy thing,, I have a aftermarket system in my truck and i am waiting till an interface module comes out.....Just to risky splicing into this harness "Can bus system" like the new chevys have......multiple items use 1 wire,,,

·
Registered
378 Posts
Be careful on these. My parents bought me a Viper security system for my 05 4Runner. It was fairly expensive I think (at the stero shop for $599) if I remember.

They installed for $250. Told me it would take a few hours, ended up being 3 days. They tripped all the dashboard warning lights, and could not reset. I had to take to Toyota shop, but they sent the bill to the stereo shop.

Worked great though once everything was right.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We tried..........Aftermarket So far is not an easy thing,, I have a aftermarket system in my truck and i am waiting till an interface module comes out.....Just to risky splicing into this harness "Can bus system" like the new chevys have......multiple items use 1 wire,,,
As with any new model, it takes a while for aftermarket to catch up. I don't like the factory remote because the range sucks. The remote start in my 03 Tundra had a 1000 ft range, but it was aftermarket. You may say why do you need that much range. My truck sits about 300 ft from my work place. When i work nights i can start my truck without ever leaving the building and it's nice and toasty - windshield defrosted - by the time i get ready to go. Remote start is a major necessity if you live in an area with a lot of snow and ice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are 2 different bypass modules you can use for the Tundra. One you use the valet key and one you dont need any key. I used the one where youhave to use a a key but we have installed the one that you do not need any keys in the Tundra a well. The difference is just price.
If you have a good installer the alarm can easily be put in.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The ones without the key are safe to use. they arent activated until the starter starts the car. (that is if installed to the secondary ground output of the unit.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
the range on the factory remote makes it all but usless, then you have to turn it off to get in:td:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ditto, almost have to go outside to start it. Every time you use it you are starting the truck twice. I liked the zeibart aftermarket I had on my 04 solara, for 450.00 it had a two way remote that told me it had started without looking out at the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I think I will decline the factory remotestart accessory and get an aftermarket unit installed instead. The $700 toyota wants up here for for their units are outrageous compared to the Autostart units @ $250
I'm looking at the Autostart model Autostart as some models have an alarm system as well as remote start, and door locker that will work at great distance.

has anyone had any experience with remote start kits for our babies??
hate to say this but i would definately recommend aftermarket remote start options... with a range of 80 ft the toyota is an inferior unit... it integrates nicely with everything but toyota wanted to play it safe with the system so that it would not be possible to steal the car with the remote start system on... oh well... i am going to see if i can increase the antennas range here shortly... just as soon as i find some time... which may be never

1 - 16 of 16 Posts