Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2010 Tundra that has chrome door handles, side mirrors, gas cap & tailgate handle. I am pretty sure they are just cheap overlays attached with double sided tape and NOT OEMs. My questions is, has anyone removed this chrome with any damage done to the original parts? I just want to make sure I can remove the chrome in order to see the black handles underneath without damaging the black.
Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If they are really overlays, they are held on with 3M tape. Take a little adhesive remover in a syringe and squirt it behind them and peel slowly. Try not to get any of the remover on your paint.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
good luck. i would guess youll be buying new ones, or painting them like everyone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. i think i might try the adhesive remover.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would even try the use of a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the glue before removal
********do not over heat plastic or painted surfaces damage may occur************
just take your time, 95% of things work out fine with patience

·
Registered
379 Posts
dental floss or fine fishing line will help the process too. Get it behind the piece and work it like a shoe shine and it'll pop right off... If you do manage to get them off without damaging them or the handles, let me know how much you want for shipping :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just let the truck sit in the sun for a while....

Peel them off... there is no paints underneath for the handles and mirrors!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yeah they will just come off easily just like any other 3m taped part.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
The black looks cheap (IMO) why don't you just replace the handles with the real chrome ones from Toyota? The mirror caps, if they are the half ones, may actually be snapped into the mirror and not glued. Agree on ditching the gas cap, but I'd give the tailgate handle a chance if it doesn't look bad. Probably goes pretty well with the chrome bumper.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are a lot of replies here so im hoping I can get some advice. I have a 2008 Tundra and I was wondering if all the handle covers were held on by 3M or are some held on by clips? The mirrors are held on by clips by I cant seem to move the handle covers at all. I'm hoping I don't have to take the handle completely off.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts