Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the 3rd brake light housing from the roof to check the light sockets more thoroughly. I do not see any tpe of fastener. I looked up pasts posts for answers and the only thing I could come up with is on a 2000 tundra it involved just working the seal away. Anyone have any idea's? Thanks:dry:

·
Registered
657 Posts

Yeah I just went through this. I was going replace the light with an all-LED unit but get the orig light out.
It turns out there are some nuts that have removed from inside the cab. The rear of the headliner has to be pulled down ( the book says removed) to access the nut/bolt. Someone else on the thread chimed in and said he did it but was PITA. You have to reach up in there with a wrench and remove the nuts being careful not to drop them. They will drop down inside the back of the cab.

I read that description and stopped right there. The LED light I sent back.

NOW do a search on 3rd brake light and you should come across a more definitive description than I have given

Good luck
George60

**********************************************************************************.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There is no need to remove the whole unit to check the sockets or replace the bulbs. Just remove the red/white lens portion, which is accessible via screws on the lens face. Should you decide to remove the whole unit, it is glued to the cab body with a foam seal using a very strong double sided pressure sensitive adhesive. I removed mine with a combination of pulling and cutting the seal.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Yeah I just went through this. I was going replace the light with an all-LED unit but get the orig light out.
It turns out there are some nuts that have removed from inside the cab. The rear of the headliner has to be pulled down ( the book says removed) to access the nut/bolt. Someone else on the thread chimed in and said he did it but was PITA. You have to reach up in there with a wrench and remove the nuts being careful not to drop them. They will drop down inside the back of the cab.

I read that description and stopped right there. The LED light I sent back.

NOW do a search on 3rd brake light and you should come across a more definitive description than I have given

Good luck
George60

**********************************************************************************.

It's very easy. Take off the red/clear lens on the outside by removing the 4 screws. Be careful not to rip the gasket that fits inside that red/clear cover. After you get that off you'll see 2 red clips. Each clip has 4 "feet" on it. Simply push those feet to the center of the holes they come through and that will release the unit. Very carefully try to separate the unit from the gasket, that seals the unit to the truck cab. And....you're done. Seal that bitch back to the cab otherwise you'll get a leak, eventually, like I did.

I've had mine off several times and never had to remove the headliner or nuts/bolts whatever you read.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
they use double stick tape to hold it in - at least that is how it is in my 2003

1 - 5 of 5 Posts