Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Limited 2WD 4.7L

Looking into having someone change my timing belt. They said that they thought that the AC compressor lines had to be disconnected and the compressor removed adding to the cost. I looked at the directions and it looks to me like the compressor only has to be unbolted from the front of the engine leaving the lines connected. Which is true?

Don H

·
Registered
109 Posts
yes it is you do not have to disconnect the ac pump you just have to unbolt it and move it out of the way

·
Registered
234 Posts
Make sure he suspends it with a wire (as well as the power steering pump) so the lines are'nt stressed supporting the weight.
And I would take it to someone who is familiar with the job as he has proved he isn't. At least someone willing to read the
book before tearing into it.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
On my '04 V8 the AC comp and brackets unbolt and I hung them to the side with small bungie cords...I kinda remember one of the brackets being a real MOFO to get loose! (ouch....many, many magic words here!!! :beatsme:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
The compressor on a 2001 (which should be the same) is an easy deal. The wire screw up top, and IIRC one 12mm head bolt
for access below and 3 14mm head bolts all accessible with an air gun.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
top phillips removes the ground wire and bracket to access the top 14mm. then you only need to remove the two front 14mm bolts. bottom 14mm bolt comes off after removal of 12mm nut. the compressor does not even need to come completely off, just the bolts. the two 14mm bolts bolt on to the fan clutch bracket.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. That's what I got from reading the directions.

The guy who I'm talking to is a experienced mechanic but he's never done a Tundra 4.7L and I haven't shown him the directions yet. He was just going by what he saw on other vehicles.

Have had my truck for 10 years now. I would have done the belt myself, and I may still do it, if my health had not gone down hill this last year.

Don H

1 - 7 of 7 Posts