Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I installed Moto Metal 951 17x9 wheels using my current 265/70 tires. I plan to go to bigger 285/70 tires when needed.

In an effort to increase horsepower for the extra weight, I browsed the forums. I saw the posts about removing the charcoal filter. So I disconnected the battery to reset the cpu, and removed the charcoal filter. My second trip out in the truck, which was for lunch, the cpu had adjusted to the additional air and there was a noticeable difference in the truck's gitty-up.

This evening I installed a K&N drop-in air filter. After the cpu adjusted again, I could feel a little more pep in the throttle. Actually having to adjust how I depress it. Spinning out a couple of times. I'll have to run a check on the fuel economy.

I did not really notice a dramatic difference in the sound though, as some other have suggested.

Overall, a nice mod for only $55.00.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's been proven with vacuum tests that there is no measurable restriction caused by the HC (hydrocarbon capture) element. The "pep" you feel is in your head.

Further, the stock airbox with paper filter flows 125-150% of WOT air intake demand, so the K&N is nothing more than a "filter" with larger holes in it. All you did was to swap in a filter element not designed to screen out smaller particles like roadway silt (silicon), etc.

You can't cheat the ECU. It will adjust any changed airflow rates back to stoichiometric balance (14.7:1) within 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Damn Remmy, you ruined it. The op was so exited about all this new found horse power that I was going to recommend that he also install a throttle body spacer and some "slipperier" motor oil too. We all know that you can unlock some serious torque and horse power by installing those "power enhancers". LOL.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Booyakashaaaaaaa

Hence why OG's run stock filter or have tried K&N type filters and intakes and go back.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Damn Remmy, you ruined it. The op was so exited about all this new found horse power that I was going to recommend that he also install a throttle body spacer and some "slipperier" motor oil too. We all know that you can unlock some serious torque and horse power by installing those "power enhancers". LOL.
LOL! We all know now that the REAL horsepower comes from the included sticker(s)!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Brutal!!

I only did those things after reading tons of posts on the subject. But I'll certainly consider your friendly well intentioned good natured ribbing input. Sorry I'm not the fricking rocket scientist you are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hahahaha, you guys are brutal on here. I almost feel like I'm back on LS1tech forums again!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, there is a lot of act hard people on forums, who dont know what they are talking about but seem to get a lot of support from other members. Its worth it to look at their advice, but dont take every thing said on here to heart. Its your truck, do your thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Wow! Brutal!!

I only did those things after reading tons of posts on the subject. But I'll certainly consider your friendly well intentioned good natured ribbing input. Sorry I'm not the fricking rocket scientist you are.
Hey axeman... know that any ribbing is all in good fun. It ain't personal. Those of us who have been here for a while and have paid the time penance of reading through all the studies, tests, etc on these mods are just trying to save folks a lot of time, money and broken dreams.

After 12 years of the 2UZ-FE engine in the Tundra, folks have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. I do applaud you for actually trying to make improvements; it's more than a lot of folks do.

Take 'er easy.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Well, there is a lot of act hard people on forums, who dont know what they are talking about but seem to get a lot of support from other members. Its worth it to look at their advice, but dont take every thing said on here to heart. Its your truck, do your thing.
Just to clarify, the removal of the HC element has been honestly -- and scientifically -- vacuum tested by a TS member. The coarseness of the material creates no measurable restriction to intake flow. It's simply there to chemically capture hydrocarbon gas blowback from the intake plenum after shutdown. Its implementation was subsequent to federal emissions reduction mandates in 2003, I believe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I understand that. It wasnt really in reference to this post, more of a general statement of information found on forums. Best advice I can give you is hit SEARCH and start reading away.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
What MRT said sounds reasonable.

Newer guys always get thrashed on this forum, I know I did long long ago...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My $0.02:

I wouldn't run a K&N on my truck, more flow is due to less filtration. I run them on race bikes but those are highly maintained vehicles with frequent rebuilds etc, and max HP is required.

I will say a K&N does increase horsepower when the extra air flow is compensated with appropriate fuel but all of my experience is in vehicles with carbs, unsure about EFI results.

Ya'll ribbing him about the placebo effect reminds me of when my "buddies" got me drunk on O'douls when I was like 17. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts