Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the steps or general process to remove the alternator from an 06 RAV4 6cyl? Or at least how to get the belt off or tension released. Looks like a major repair since I can't see much from the top but I hope I am missing something.
The ticket on a new part looks to be $500+ without labor.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know the steps or general process to remove the alternator from an 06 RAV4 6cyl? Or at least how to get the belt off or tension released. Looks like a major repair since I can't see much from the top but I hope I am missing something.
The ticket on a new part looks to be $500+ without labor.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
You can definitely get alternators cheaper than that man Alternator ? Car Alternators | Alternators | Chevy Alternators | Truck Alternator | Replacement Alternators at Prime Choice Auto Parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the lead on a reasonable priced alternator. I am still stuck on how to access the drivebelt accessory area. It seems the front wheel, fender liner and a cross brace must come off.

I put some soap on the edge of the belt. That seemed to quiet things down for a while so I assumed it was a belt problem. I decided to let the dealer look at this since I wasn't sure of access. About $165 for a new belt and labor. That didn't solve the problem. They decided it was an idler wheel and replaced that, another $165 after they said a $75 price discount. They felt it was the idler since there was a notice for a re designed part. ("Redesigned" was not their terminology.) That didn't fix it. I don't think they really got into to analyse things , I think they just decided that was the next step. Now they think it's the tensioner. Of course not a $25 tensioner, seems like its real special and now they want abother $300+. I can replaced unneed parts cheaper than they can. Guess I will try it myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts