Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 White/Red Rock CM LTD & I am in the process of dressing it down.
I've just replaced the factory LTD grille with the Tundra Grade black grille.
I'd like to get rid of the chrome on the side mirrors but not sure if it comes off?
It looks to me like the chrome is just stuck on over the black plastic but I'd hate to screw it up in the process, anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
been discussed before. :) it just pops off but u have to have the black plastic pieces to replace them with. and they dont sell them by themselves...the ones that have gone from black to chrome have gotten theirs at wrecking yards. but it leaves all the holes n crap where the tabs fit and lock in. if they werent power fold limiited ones id say post over in the classifieds section for someone to trade ya but i bet u dont want to give up the power fold option

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You can paint chromed plastic but you have to be careful scuffing the chrome, as it will delaminate from the plastic if you scuff too aggressively. I just hit it very conservatively with a sandblaster from quite a long distance away, and just enough to rough it up and remove the gloss. Then prime and paint as you would any bare steel. Zinc chromate primer/sealer and proper automotive two component paint (with hardener). Lots of guys have had fair success with scuff pads / steel wool / sand paper, which is fine as long as you do a thorough job cutting a profile into the chrome.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
You can paint chromed plastic but you have to be careful scuffing the chrome, as it will delaminate from the plastic if you scuff too aggressively. I just hit it very conservatively with a sandblaster from quite a long distance away, and just enough to rough it up and remove the gloss. Then prime and paint as you would any bare steel. Zinc chromate primer/sealer and proper automotive two component paint (with hardener). Lots of guys have had fair success with scuff pads / steel wool / sand paper, which is fine as long as you do a thorough job cutting a profile into the chrome.
then put some 3m film over it since they will take a beating from road debris etc.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i'd love to have that color combo though...good choice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"if they werent power fold limiited ones id say post over in the classifieds section for someone to trade ya but i bet u dont want to give up the power fold option"

Yeah your right on that, it's a nice option to have & I've used it more than once, if the tow mirrors wern't so big I'd probably go that route.
Looks like a trip to the paint shop is in order, thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the tow mirrors are certainly larger, but once u have them they are easy to get used to. plus they offer them in power fold now so u can still get that option...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd like to get rid of the chrome on the side mirrors but not sure if it comes off?
Just sent you a PM. I have the black covers I'd love to trade for your chrome covers if you're interested. They come off super easy. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a 2010 White/Red Rock CM LTD & I am in the process of dressing it down.
I've just replaced the factory LTD grille with the Tundra Grade black grille.
It looks to me like the chrome is just stuck on over the black plastic but I'd hate to screw it up in the process, anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Get rid of the chrome? Are you nuts? Chrome is beautiful. But painting is probably the cheapest but replacing the whole mirror assm. is probably the surest and safest in the long run.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Get rid of the chrome? Are you nuts? Chrome is beautiful. But painting is probably the cheapest but replacing the whole mirror assm. is probably the surest and safest in the long run.
Well first of all, it's NOT chrome. It's shiny plastic. Chrome is a metal - chromium that is applied to metal. That is chrome. This stuff is all just shiny plastic.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Actually there is a post floating around with the company that makes a good replacement either black smooth/textured or fake chrome to just replace the one plastic part that is removable. I actually have a pair of black smooth sitting around waiting for some warmer weather so I can do a DIY paint job on it and put them on afterwards. I just can't recall the company off the top of my head. At about $35.00

Okay just remembered the site before I hit enter...

Toyota Tundra Mirror Cover at 1AAuto.com

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Well first of all, it's NOT chrome. It's shiny plastic. Chrome is a metal - chromium that is applied to metal. That is chrome. This stuff is all just shiny plastic.
not necessarily true. lots of plastics are actually plated with chromium. the process is different, and they have to use different bases to get to that point but it is in fact, chrome plated plastic. its not just for metal. :) google if if u wanna argue it. :) it has to be etched, then other metals put onto the surface to actualy bond to the chromium but in the end, its chrome just on plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts