Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to rid my truck of the engine badges (fender), the "Tundra" on the door and the Toyota emblem on the gate.

Are these emblems pop in (meaning will there be holes under the emblems) or is it a 2x sided foam tape?

How do you get them off without needing a paint job?

Tks

~JH

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
wow. been discussed many a time

·
Registered
588 Posts
it just pulls off. let it set out in the sun to soften or else its a real tuff pull. you can try to pull some dental floss behind the emblems.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I used fishing line behind the emblems and just "flossed" them right off. No holes under any emblems. Removed all emblems on veh except toyota emblem in grill. Tailgate, door, and limited emblems came off really easy, but the glue behind the 5.7 emblems took me over an hour to remove completely.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Some but not all of my emblems came off clean with a single "POP!". There are a couple of ways to mess up the paint. Watch out for the opposite end of the emblem. Don't use a razorblade:confused: Don't use harsh abbrasives to clean up the sticky leftovers. I polished and waxed the area when I was done. Use common sense:laughing3d: In my experience, the fishing line left the most to clean up.So instead I taped around the emblem, to avoid scratches, then i pulled it off with my fingers, slow and steady. My fingers were sore after.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used dental floss and a hair dryer. I would stay away from a heat gun because they are very hot and if you are not careful you could damage the paint. After the badges are off, rub the glue with your fingers to remove it. Bug and tar remover and WD-40 helps remove the glue. Resist the temptation to use your fingernails. Good luck.

The glue under the 5.7 badge will be the hardest to remove.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
just search "debadge" or "debadging" tons of threads on this.

a lot of people say to use dental floss. but this stuff can rip pretty easy. and it can stick as well, and cause the emblem to snap in half, which will dig into your paint and cause a chip. it would actually be best to have 2 sets of hands. one to run the fishing line through, and one to keep the heat gun on it, so the glue cant cool down and gum up when youre half way through the emblem.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes this discussion has been beat to death. There's even a video I saw here about it. Use a hair dryer or a low setting heat gun until the emblem can be moved or wiggled. That indicates you've softened the 3M tape holding it on. When its movable you can the try the floss / fishing line to "cut" through the foam tape. Or you can just try slipping a piece of thin cardboard under one edge and gently pull the emblem toward the cardboard. That way it shouldn't dig into and chip the paint. Goo-b-Gone, WD 40 or rubbing alcohol will remove the remaining glue/foam.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Yes, has been discussed many times, but for simplification -

1) gently preheat with hair dryer or heat gun
2) remove emblem with 50 lb fishing line
3) clean up with goo-gone citrus cleaner or rubbing alcohol

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes, has been discussed many times, but for simplification -

1) gently preheat with hair dryer or heat gun
2) remove emblem with 50 lb fishing line
3) clean up with goo-gone citrus cleaner or rubbing alcohol
It would have been simpler is you'd have just said READ BIGMONEY'S POST ABOVE. Duh.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I used a dremel with the cutting wheel and followed the contour of the badge making several passes around the badge until it was free from the body. Then I buffed out the rough spots.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I used a dremel with the cutting wheel and followed the contour of the badge making several passes around the badge until it was free from the body. Then I buffed out the rough spots.
hahahahahahahahahaha almost as good as the guy who used a razor blade...but he really did use a razor blade...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hahahahahahahahahaha almost as good as the guy who used a razor blade...but he really did use a razor blade...
I forgot to add that drinking lots of coffee or your favorite energy drink will greatly increase the odds of getting the badges off without damaging your paint, this will reduce the amount of time you spend of the buffing process.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
It would have been simpler is you'd have just said READ BIGMONEY'S POST ABOVE. Duh.
It would have been simpler to say "use the search function" and just close the thread :devil:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Guys, stop being thread nazis. If you don't want to respond to a thread becuase the topic has been beat to death, don't respond, don't even read it. Let someone else respond that doesn't have their panties in a wad over a repeated topic. Sheeeesh.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Guys, stop being thread nazis. If you don't want to respond to a thread becuase the topic has been beat to death, don't respond, don't even read it. Let someone else respond that doesn't have their panties in a wad over a repeated topic. Sheeeesh.
+1

I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think its cool to revisit now & then. It may be seen by a fellow tundra owner who missed it the first time and may inspire them to do the mod or fix a problem. Sometimes a search doesn't come out right. If you don't like a repeat, move on, plenty to see elsewhere. The sun and floss also works well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts