Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, new to the forum and looking at purchasing my first Sequoia (2013). I know that this has been discussed a bit, but is it easy (or even preferable) to remove the middle seat from the 2nd row split bench to be able to create a path back to the 3rd row? Or should I be looking at trying to find a limited/platinum with captains chairs and just remove the console?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Guys, new to the forum and looking at purchasing my first Sequoia (2013). I know that this has been discussed a bit, but is it easy (or even preferable) to remove the middle seat from the 2nd row split bench to be able to create a path back to the 3rd row? Or should I be looking at trying to find a limited/platinum with captains chairs and just remove the console?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh
I have a Platinum which I converted to an 8 passenger. Personally the additional seat is much more useful to me than the console. Can you not access the 3rd row by just moving one of the outboard seats behind the passenger or driver? Are you going to be using the 3rd row that much?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Congrats.

We have 2 (3 and 6) both in FF convertible car seats (Diono Radian RXT). The nice thing with the SR5/Limited (i.e. 8 seat models) is that all 3 seats in the 2nd row are wide and have LATCH systems so you shouldn't have any issues with 3 across, regardless of the seats you have. The middle seat also comes forward much further than the other 2 for easier access to a child.

Unless you are going to be using the 3rd row on a regular basis I'd just put 3 across the 2nd row and if you need an adult to sit in the back you can slide an outboard seat forward. If you put the new born in an outboard seat (i.e. behind driver or passenger) you could fold the seat forward and slide it to allow easier access to the 3rd row before snapping the seat into the base, vs. having a FF seat in that position.

In addition with the 3rd row being utilized there is no much room behind it, I believe the LATCH seat in the 3rd row is in the 60% portion, meaning you only have the room behind the seat and the flat 40% portion for use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed the middle seat...yes, pretty easy to do. We like it better. Keeps the kids separated so less fighting.
Was it easy to remove the second row middle seat? I have a 2014 sequoia and thinking of doing that.

Edit: Got it. I found the four screws. I had an extra sheet of plexiglass and put a 17.5" x 25" piece over the spot and then a black mat over it. My ARB 50 quart Fridge fits in nice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How do to side seats feel when the center is removed? I believe the OEM 2nd row seats have armrests I believe. It would be good to consider later on when my kids get bigger.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
FWIW, I'm a little late responding to this, but I documented the process with pictures back in February:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/141722-remove-center-seat-in-limited/#post1705658

Hope it helps anyone interested in doing it. It has been the perfect setup for us - with 3 kids in carseats it's not possible to slide the seats forward to let someone into the back seat, so with the middle seat removed my younger 2 sit in the 2nd row while my oldest sits in the back and can buckle herself up. Still leaves 2 seats open and easy to get to when we need them, and when we go on a long road trip where I need the luggage space I just put the middle seat back in.

wally

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, I'm a little late responding to this, but I documented the process with pictures back in February:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/141722-remove-center-seat-in-limited/#post1705658

Hope it helps anyone interested in doing it. It has been the perfect setup for us - with 3 kids in carseats it's not possible to slide the seats forward to let someone into the back seat, so with the middle seat removed my younger 2 sit in the 2nd row while my oldest sits in the back and can buckle herself up. Still leaves 2 seats open and easy to get to when we need them, and when we go on a long road trip where I need the luggage space I just put the middle seat back in.

wally
I just removed the seat using this guide. It was super easy. Waiting for my Weathertechs to arrive on Friday. Ordered the 3rd row with the bucket seat w/o console mat. Thanks wallstrum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone want to sell their middle seat? Or know where I can source one? I'm looking to take the console out of my Platinum. So going the opposite way most in this thread did. Gray interior preferred for a 2008-2016. Mine is a 2012. Located in southern Cali.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Anyone want to sell their middle seat? Or know where I can source one? I'm looking to take the console out of my Platinum. So going the opposite way most in this thread did. Gray interior preferred for a 2008-2016. Mine is a 2012. Located in southern Cali.
If you are trying to turn your Platinum into an 8 seater you need to source the entire 2nd row from an SR5 or Limited (all 3 seats).

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Are the captains seats different sizes verses the split bench? Or is it the brackets? If its the brackets I can fab new ones.
The captain chairs are wider than the outboard chairs on the bench seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the input...I have another quick question for people that have the weathertech mats. Will the 3rd row weathertech mat designed for buckets w/o the console fit under the middle seat if the middle seat is still installed? It looks like it may fit under the middle seat between the runners, but I can't tell for sure, and weathertech customer service wasn't very helpful in answering this. Reason for the question is that I'm not going to remove the middle seat until my third one arrives (end of March), but I don't want to purchase both versions of the 3rd row mats.

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you mean the Weathertech floor liner, then no, unfortunately it will not fit. That's what I had when I had the buckets and when I switched over to a bench, I had to revert to Toyota's all weather mat that is just a horizontal piece that stretches across in front of the 3rd row seats.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is a great post! I need the bench now, since I have 2 small kids in baby seats and we sit someone in between to help --- but as they get older, it would be great to have the ability to access the 3rd row from the 2nd row.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, sorry to re-open this old thread, but I wanted to clarify. I know mswscco said the Weather tech mat for bucket seats don't fit with the bench installed, but I removed the middle seat - would the weather tech mat for buckets and no center console work with the bench if the center seat is removed?

I am trying to find a way to cover the floor since there is open track trim I don't want people to trip on or break.

Ordered the 3rd row with the bucket seat w/o console mat
MooneyFWD, did that mat workout for you?

Thanks!
-David

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pretty sure it would fit, as the rails on the floor are the same weather you have bucket or bench 2nd row. Perhaps the only qualifier would be Platinum models, as they are never available with a bench seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts