Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Can anyone give me a step by step process to remove the steering wheel on an 06 tundra????????
I believe (do at own risk no warranties blah blah.) Disconnect the battery so the airbag does not go off. There should be a few phillips on the side or backside holding the center of the steering wheel on. So you will need to turn the wheel to get to them all. Once these are removed the center cover should come off and the airbag will be held in place by 4 nuts/bolts. Then there should be a large nut holding the actual wheel toi the spline. Loosen the nut but do not remove it. Then you can use a steering wheel puller or just wiggle it while pulling really really hard. (This is why you leave the nut on so you do not knock out your teeth.

I have never removed the wheel on my Tundra but on many other vehicles and this seems to be the steps on most.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I've never done it either but I believe they are torx heads rather than philips heads.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Never removed the wheel, but here is how you remove the center airbag portion (no warranties, lol) This is from experience, I put bluetooth phone controls in my steering wheel, which meant the airbag has to be removed for the install.

DISCONNECT BATTERY!!! WAIT 90 SECONDS BEFORE FOOLING AROUND IN THE STEERING WHEEL!!!

On each side of the wheel (left and right) there will be a small plastic cover, just pry those off with a credit card or something soft so you don't scratch them. Then on each side there is 1 torx screw, I forget what size #. Unscrew those, they don't come out all the way, just keep unscrewing until the airbag portion is free.

Then just unplug the airbag.

That's as far as I have gotten in the steering wheel :)

Just wondering, why do you want to take your wheel off?

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
REMOVAL​
1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY
TERMINAL​
Wait for 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable to prevent the
airbag working.​
2. REMOVE STEERING WHEEL PAD
NOTICE:
If the airbag connector is disconnected with the ignition
switch in the ON or ACC position, DTCs will be recorded.​
(a) Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
(b) Remove the steering wheel lower No. 2 cover.
(c) Remove the steering wheel lower No. 3 cover.
(d) Using a torx​
® socket wrench, loosen the 2 torx® screws.
HINT:
Loosen each screw until the groove along the screw circumference
is caught on the screw case.
(e) Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel and disconnect
the airbag connectors and horn terminal.

CAUTION:​
​
When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface
of the pad facing upward.

​
Never disassemble the wheel pad.
NOTICE:
When removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the airbag
wire harness.
3. REMOVE STEERING WHEEL

(a) Remove the steering wheel set nut.
(b) Put matchmarks on the steering wheel and main shaft assembly.
(c) Using SST, remove the wheel. (steering wheel puller)
SST 09950−50013 (09951−05010, 09952−05010,
09953−05020, 09954−05021)
(d) Disconnect the connector.​

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, the reason I am asking this is b/c I want to change the color of the middle(horn) section of the steering wheel b/c I am redoing the interior of my truck. I figured asking how to take the steering wheel off would allow people to understand exactly what I was talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the ultimate in anti-theft get a nice aftermarket wheel like a momo or sparco race wheel. You can then buy a quick release device that they use for race cars. At night just remove the wheel and bring it in the house. Thieves can't steal the truck or your airbags!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would to like to use the Sequoia steering wheel, it matches the wood grain package in my XSP :tu: I have a MOMO Pilota wheel in my Integra and it use's a Tekniq quick release hub and it is well worth the investment....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts