Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my previous post showed, I removed my alternator. Put in a new one. I inadvertently yanked the two wires of what looks like the crank sensor out of its plug. The wires were attached to the lower alternator bracket. I pulled the bracket and of course, I yanked the wires right out of that sensor.

The sensor is located under the a/c compressor.

It looks like I should be able to gain access to this sensor by removing the a/c and pushing it to the side....I hope. Then, hopefully, I could get to that sensor and most likely just replace it. The car is coming up on 200k miles.

I can't be the first one that has done this.

My big questions are, what's it going to take to get to that sensor?
Do I have to remove the a/c to get to it?
How hard is it to pull that a/c unit? The alternator looked like an easy two bolts, remove and replace.....I was wrong!!
Does anyone have any tricks on doing this job.

On the bright side....I can replace the alternator on this car in 30 minutes or less......yay :td::td:

Thanks,

Steve-

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not seeing it or having any idea on the location or space available this is just a guess, but replacing pulled out terminals is not that hard for someone that has done it before. A mechanic should be able to replace the pulled terminals and put them back in the connector. Should being the key word. Shoot a pm to fritzindian on here. He is a Toyota mechanic and can probably best answer your question.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update.

Cheapskate.
Understood about there being no pictures. I was too pissed to take any! I know it's hard to ask a question about a sensor and not show exactly what I'm talking about. Sorry to everyone about that.

I pulled the a/c compressor out of the way. Got down to that sensor. Found that two wires (black and white) looked like they were snapped off. The connectors were still inside the harness. I pulled the harness out and soldered some wire back onto the crimped sensors leads. Snapped the connector back on. Re-installed the compressor, installed the new alternator back on.......again. It started with no problems.

The moral of this story is, be very careful when pulling on wires! Especially when they could be crispy from constant engine heat!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed, and that you were good enough to post back the results. Too many people are one hit wonders. They post a problem but never come back to say how they fixed it. Always a good thing to post back to help others in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts