Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 2011 Tundra Platinum (4 weeks); 3 buttons on the radio/nav have been cracked and looks horrible. I have checked with the dealer and they said it would cost more then $4800 to fix because they would need to replace the whole unit!!!!!

They said the other option would be to try and find a used unit, they have been used since 2009......It is model number E7026.

Does ANYONE have ideas on where to try and find a used unit, or at least where to start looking!?

·
Registered
450 Posts
pretty sure that should be covered under your warranty... Especially at 4 weeks old. if your dealer is giving you crud about it try another, then call toyota

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definately a warranty issue, if not check out the Advent OE navigation unit, just put one in my truck, nicer that the factory nav unit, with more options.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definately a warranty issue, if not check out the Advent OE navigation unit, just put one in my truck, nicer that the factory nav unit, with more options.
Does the advent oe style radio work with the stock steering wheel controls?
Also would live to see a pic of this unit installed. As I am also considering doing a radio swap

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I have a brand new 2011 Tundra Platinum (4 weeks); 3 buttons on the radio/nav have been cracked and looks horrible. I have checked with the dealer and they said it would cost more then $4800 to fix because they would need to replace the whole unit!!!!!

They said the other option would be to try and find a used unit, they have been used since 2009......It is model number E7026.

Does ANYONE have ideas on where to try and find a used unit, or at least where to start looking!?
That's like the cost of a new engine... tell them it's a warranty issue and to get off their butts and make good on their repairs under said warranty. Otherwise find another dealer...
BTW, no HU on a Toyota costs $4800 unless they're charging $4K in labor... that may indicate to you what kind of dealership they are...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay in response.....I called and they said it wasn't something they cover; but went down to the dealership yesterday and they seemed more concerned/involved.

What happened is there was an air freshener on the dash and they say it cause a chemical reaction. However, I used the same air freshener in the same location on 3 previous vehicles with no issue; so it tells me its a Toyota engineering issue. Also, there is nothing in the Warranty about "not" using air fresheners; only about non-standard use, which we agreed a car air freshener is pretty standard. They are calling around trying to find out if we can find a cheaper fix or a mutually accepted solution.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response.....I called and they said it wasn't something they cover; but went down to the dealership yesterday and they seemed more concerned/involved.

What happened is there was an air freshener on the dash and they say it cause a chemical reaction. However, I used the same air freshener in the same location on 3 previous vehicles with no issue; so it tells me its a Toyota engineering issue. Also, there is nothing in the Warranty about "not" using air fresheners; only about non-standard use, which we agreed a car air freshener is pretty standard. They are calling around trying to find out if we can find a cheaper fix or a mutually accepted solution.

I'll keep you updated.
I call :bs: and you should call Toyota/USA for help with this Stealership.
Here's the phone number 1-800-331-4331 drop a dime on these fools!

sounds like a load of crud to me.
Agree.:tu:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts

I'll keep you updated.
Dude, no freakin' air freshener is ever going to impact the operation of your stereo. Tell them a "chemical" reaction doesn't qualify on something "electrical" (and heck, it isn't like fragrance is going to dissolve or react with capacitors and circuit boards). If the BS from this place gets any bigger, just go find someone else that is more capable...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
BTW, no HU on a Toyota costs $4800 unless they're charging $4K in labor... that may indicate to you what kind of dealership they are...
Took my 2010 radio out yesterday to take measurements for a future mod.
Used these instructions, and it took maybe 20 minutes. Putting it all back together took about 30 minutes, 'cause I was being careful with fit and position.
As was stated in the other posts, your vehicle is too new, and the air freshener bit is an attempt to find a way to make you pay. It's a warranty issue. Hold them to it.

Steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm on my THIRD factory replaced under warranty radio. No Nav, just a regular radio / CD Changer.

The first quit working altogether, the second went to Japanese writing and the 3rd has been ok for about 7 months. All under warrant.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
hmmm.... i smell tuna.... or something fishy at least. Thats the biggest line of crap i've read on here in a while (minus the evolution thread!!!!) The dealership is REALLY going out of their way to not take care of this. If you have any other dealerships that are at a convenient distance.... try them. And I would definitely remind the dealership where you bought the truck (if you bought it there) and where you will not be buying your next one. That may get their asses in gear.

Good luck man.... still cant believe that they blamed this on an air freshener.... ridiculous.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely a warranty item. As it is, it will not cost the dealer anything. In fact, it makes money for the dealer. The dealer charge Toyota in labor in handling warranty issue so it is not like the dealer is throwing in free labor here. And the HU will be provided by Toyota if Toyota does not provide the piece part of the knobs.

If dealer insist on not replacing the unit or the knobs under warranty, send in the pictures to BBB, State Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission and forward the email to the dealer and Toyota, that will get some attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts