Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. Just a quick question..... I am about to change the timing belt, but should I replace the water pump as well or just leave it as is... I am not having any problems with the pump.... Been flushing my system every year... been keeping it up top shape, and have a little over 100,000 miles (all highway) on it.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very good preventive maintence to replace the pump if you are going to remove and replace the timing.

Since the cover is opened up, I would do it along with a coolant flush. The pumps don't cost a whole lot compared to labor, I would think an OEM pump could cost no more than $200.

I like ur preventive maintence .. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Although there is a good chance it would last until 200K miles, its so easy and fairly cheap to replace along with the timing belt, that its highly recommended to go ahead and have it done now.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
If replacing Timing belt at the required interval or around there. It is proper to replace the waterpump.They both generally have similar lifepans.

Replacing one, generally(with the exception of a premature failure of one or the other) gets the other replaced at the same time. Toyota Recommends this as a dealer procedure. This is not a gimmick or myth. There is credence to this. Some challenge this recommendation. But it is legit.

LT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts