Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, being the dutiful and thrifty husband, went to change the rear brake pads on the Sequoia. Everything was smooth and fast on the drivers side, but when I went to the passenger side, one of the lug bolts broke. Having replaced a few lugs I immediately went to the parts store and got a new lug and nut.

Little did I know the mess I was in.
I got back and started to remove the broken lug and noticed that there wasn't going to be enough clearance between the hub and the emergency brake drum assembly to insert the new lug !!!:confused:

Help!?! Is there any way to get a lug into the hub without disassembling the parking brake or pulling the axle? Surely this happens often enough that there is a fast way to put a new lug in. Does anyone know what the shop manual says? Please help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so clearly this isn't something people deal with often. I called a local tire shop and they indicated that you have to take the brake shoes off of the parking brake assembly to insert the lug stud. The guy I spoke to said he has to deal with broken studs frequently. So if you don't have the spring clip tools to work on a drum brake you'll need them to replace a lug on either rear hub. I'll post back if the tire shop is wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the update, appreciate you posting up a possible fix. I haven't had to deal with a broken lug stud yet, hope it's a quick fix for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts