Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through the problem of replacing the tiny light bulb for the "D" in the dash. I had to keep starting and stopping the truck to get vacuum pressure to put the brake on to put the gear shift down in "L" a few times. When I got everything back together my check engine light came on. Any one got ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know, but I was quoted $170.00 from my dealer to replace the same bulb (the D for drive bulb) in my 2001. The quote was set up as 90 something dollars just for the bulb!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just go to Autozone and have them yank the codes off of the OBDII computer, then post back here and someone can look up the codes for you and tell you what the actual problem is, so you're not swimming in the dark.

PS. Autozone, Kragen, and other places will read post '95 OBDII computers and tell you the code for free. If they try to charge you, go somewhere else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The D light just went out on my dash as well. How hard/long was it? I don't feel like spending 200 if it's simple. Just remembered that the light's on theupper console just wen also....need to replace those too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
To the OP:

Did you get the codes read? If so, what was the issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The code was for the dash being unplugged while on and the o2 sensor. I started and stopped the rig a bunch while I had the dash out. The o2 sensor was messed up, but as soon as I drove it for a while and then restarted the engine they all went away. Didn't need to get anythind read, but I did anyway.
As far as changing the bulb, now that I know how to do it, 15 minutes tops. I got a spare bulb from the junkyard. $1.
To get the dash out is really easy.
Two screws in the black bezel around the gauges and then
Four 10mm bolts in the trim under the panel and pull it the lower panel off and the black bezel.
Four screws holding the dash panel in and it comes out far enough to unplug the 4 harness leads and remove the entire cluster.
Change the bulb with a screwdriver and reverse the entire operation.
The only issue I had was getting the gearshifter into L1 to get the dash out. I had bled all the pressure off the brake booster so the safety switch wouldn't release. Had to start the engine to build pressure.

PM me if it doesn't make sense, or search in forum for dash light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts