Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my 01 Tundra. I replaced the steering rack, centered steering wheel, locked in place, and even ran the seat belt thru it.

When I drove it the steering wheel was almost 180 degrees out.

Took to have it aligned, and they told me the steering wheel will have to be level to align it, which is true.

My question is how do I fix this problem? I have the Chiltons manual, and removin the steering wheel is no big deal, but the manual does not tell you how to fix this problem.

Is it just a matter of make sure the wheels are straight, and putting the steering wheel back on level?

Shop wants a $120 to level the steering wheel, then $50 for the alignment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It was assembled wrong at the manufacturer. You need to return it and exchange it for a new one. The manufacturer has to disassemble and correct their mistake during reassembly. We see it time to time at our shop. It sucks but nothing you can really do about it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Shouldn't matter. Alignment shop should just level the steering wheel, then align the truck. I was worried about mine too, as the same thing just happened to me about a month ago when I did mine. I was able to align the truck up myself pretty well (with correct amount of rotations on the TRE's), but when I got in and steered it straight, wheel upside down. Alignment guy said no problem, leveled steering wheel and aligned from that. Of course when they do this, you will have a lot of extra tie rod showing on one side versus the other, but it doesn't matter since you have steering stops, and the rack is capable of turning much further than those stops allow. Tell that alignment shop just to align it. They should NOT charge you to level the wheel, this is standard procedure for any alignment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Incorrect, if you have an even number of turns between proper center and each lock point, you are good to center up the wheel.... but.... if it is uneven, the steering rack was assembled wrong and the correct solution is a replacement with a good/properly assembled unit.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. Hope to have time to work on it Friday. It wasn't a tough job, but I am tired of wrenching on this baby. Ready to drive it on a camping trip.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the steering wheel today, and got everything rotated back to level. Now to get her aligned.
The wheel has the same number of turns left to right, lock to lock.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my truck back and the steering wheel is level and everything is tight. So glad I did not have to take the rack off and replace it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
rack wasn't centered. i usually try to "eyeball" and center the rack when i have it out right before i put it in.

·
Registered
429 Posts
rack wasn't centered. i usually try to "eyeball" and center the rack when i have it out right before i put it in.

Yep, exactly. Like I said, the rack wasn't manufactured incorrectly, just not centered. I tried the eyeball method as well however it must have not been perfect! Sounds easier than it is....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts