Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Fixed* Replaced Timing belt. '03 Tundra wont start

well, at this point, im so frustrated and discouraged that i cant really think straight so some instruction on how to diagnose this might help.

I patiently and meticulously took two days to change my timing belt and water pump following step by step instructions.

I checked the position of the crankshaft and camshafts 4 times between the installment of the new belt and the re-installment of the crankshaft pulley. the new belt went on with the crankshaft and the camshafts in the EXACT same position. i feel like it is very unlikely that this is the issue, though it may be.

the engine will crank, and fire, and try to start (make a few revolutions on its own after the starter disengages.)
the only two things i have done is try starting fluid in the intake and clean the MAF (which was clean as a whistle when i checked it).

my instinct tells me that im probably not getting enough fuel because im obviously getting a spark because it is firing.
HOWEVER, it did not start with starting fluid in the air filter, nor did it start with a shot directly into the throttle body.

what do i check first?
(my brain power is all used on NOT rolling it off a cliff at the moment)

·
Registered
324 Posts
check to make sure that crank and cam sensors are plugged in correctly, if those are correct, yime to pull trhe upper covers and recheck your timing,,,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check to make sure that crank and cam sensors are plugged in correctly, if those are correct, yime to pull trhe upper covers and recheck your timing,,,
I already checked the crank sensor; it's connected, but I thought the engine would still run with it unplugged.

As far as the cam sensors, I'll find them in my Haynes and check them out.

I really don't want to tear everything apart, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like timing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't know what I'll look far if I take it back apart. Everything lined up when I put the crank pulley back on... The cr belt mark was on the white dot the left and right belt marks lined up, the pull marks lined with the cam marks and the crank pulley was at 0.

The belt I got had the L and R cam lines/ marks backwards. I put the belt on one way and everything lined up, then I flipped the belt over to check, and everything still lined up correct. The belt was labeled lefts/right from the pov of looking at the front of the truck, not from the drivers seat.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im recounting all that i did. i know for sure that once i installed the crank pully, i rotated it twice to check all the marks again. they were the same as when the old belt was on there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it only fire with the starting fluid? If the timing is correct it does sound like it would be a fuel issue
no, it fires, and simi-starts, without starting fluid. i dont have any help, so i am having to spray the fluid, then hop in the truck and try to start it, so im not sure how valid that is for the differential diagnosis.

i got a loaner fuel pressure gauge from the autoparts store and was trying to use it when something came up, im going to try and check the pressure when i get home.

the more i think about it, its activity seems, to me, to be typical behavior of insufficient fuel pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i've got to leave town, i will get back to diagnosing it on monday.

btw, had my wife crank the engine while i shot some starting fluid. didnt start. i spent so much time getting the pulleys aligned, but i must have screwed it up somehow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Soooooooooo, please give me feed back. Tell me if I'm dumb or if I'm on the right track.
I found a website that explained what the cam/crank position sensors actually do. While I paid much attention to the position of the timing belt, I did not devote so much attention to not f-ing up the cam or crank positioning sensors or the crank positioning gear. Next, I need to figure out how to test them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last night, laying in bed, I suddenly realized where I F'ed up.

I was focusing so much attention on following the YouTube instructional video, that I made a dumb mistake.

The narrator did not mention that I needed to note which direction the crankshaft position ring was placed (common sense, I should have noted anyway)

Well, I put mine on backwards. I dismantled as little of the engine as I could to get to it, flipped it over, put everything back together and it started right up and runs better than the before.

My wife and I drove the truck two hrs to visit family and all is well.

It WAS a timing issue, thanks for all your help!! Without your input, I would not have been able to narrow it down so well to figure it out.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,139 Posts
A Happy Ending......Good!

·
2,875 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My name is David, from Canada, recently bough my second Tundra, after driving a Ford for three years. I am now in a difficult position with this truck.
Can someone please advise here? Done a timing belt/waterpump change on 2007, 2UZ 4.7 limited. All marks alligned, turned it over many times, comes back to marks, all good. It cranks over fine, no check engine warning light, just 4L,4H lights coming on, but it does not start. Pulled one plug (drivers side closest to radiator), no spark, therefore it wont start. I have NO idea why it is not sparking? A hint to the problem might be that my check engine light is not coming on at all, I have the4L & 4H lights flashing, no check engine light at all.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts