Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 2wd 4.7L V8 (2UZ-FE). The current Toyota TrueStart 84 month battery has died and I'm looking for a replacement. I purchased this battery about 10 years ago from the Toyota dealer because my son worked there as a "lot jockey" and he got me a heck of a discount. I really don't want to pay OEM prices for another Toyota battery because I might drive the truck 1000 miles per year as it is only used to go to the big box home improvement store and the local landfill.
The problem I am finding is the terminals are "backwards" on replacement batteries as the Toyota OEM battery has the positive terminal on the left as you are looking into the engine bay from the front and the terminal is towards the firewall instead of the front of the truck. The cables won't reach the terminals on replacement batteries I've found.
Does anybody know of a replacement battery that has the terminals placed similar to a Toyota OEM battery?

PLEASE do not tell me to buy an Optima. I'm not dumping that kind of money into a battery for a truck that is only driven 1000 miles per year.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Are you sure you cant just go to a place like Costco and pick one up off the shelf that matches yours? If its not that simple and you cant find one there was a thread on here talking about this issue. Cant seem to find it right now but there's a certain code on the battery you just need to match. Like you have a 24A in your truck right now and all you are seeing are 24B's. Those arent the right codes but you get the idea. I will keep looking and post it here if i find it. Hopefully someone else can chime in that knows the thread I am talking about.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts

In my experience the 1Gen Tundra and many Toyota and some Honda vehicles use the 24F designated battery.
My rig came with the Cold Weather Package that includes the larger 27F battery which I found very difficult to source locally outside of the dealership. You'll need the "F" designation on the battery to maintain the proper orientation of the plus and minus terminals.
In the end I substituted the 24F for my 27F battery as they're easier to source and somewhat less expensive.
The 24F is sufficient for most applications in a Tundra or Toyota vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everybody. Nothing is simple when buying parts for a vehicle as everybody has their favorite brands and personal reasons why they hate certain brands. I used to get Kirkland brand from Costco, but now they switched to Interstate and some folks claim they are junk. True? who knows, but the warranty is limited on these Costco/Interstates as compared to the Toyota OEM. I found out by looking on the side of my replacement OEM Toyota battery that is was from 12/08, so I might shop around to several Toyota dealers for the best price as you can't complain about almost 11 years out of a battery, especially when it sits a lot. I do have a 27F battery which I failed to indicate previously.

Just off of the phone with the closest Toyota dealer to me and they want $115 for an OEM 27F. For the extra $20 compared to a Costco 24F or 27F, I might just go that route with the dealer to have a better warranty.

Wonder who makes Toyota batteries now?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've never had a problem rolling into Advance or Autozone and buying their "Gold" line battery $115-150 usually and a 3 year free replacement if there's an issue. Last one was 5 years old when I traded the car.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car-batteries/buying-guide/index.htm

Car Battery Brands
Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn. They are sold under various names and built to the specifications of retailers, so performance can vary.
Here are the major brands and where they are sold.
AC Delco AutoCraft Bosch DieHard Duracell Duralast EverStart Interstate NAPA Optima Super Start
AC Delco: Available through service centers and GM dealerships.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
What about a battery rebuild? There's an Interstate Battery store not far from me and the guy in there said they will rebuild just about any battery you want from a 20v cordless gun to heavy duty truck batteries. Never actually did that with them but might be worth a try. Wouldnt cost you a dime to call them and ask how much.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I used to be a loyal Interstate battery fan but after three short lived duds I am done with them. My trusted mechanic suggested the NAPA store brand battery and it has been no trouble so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 2wd 4.7L V8 (2UZ-FE). The current Toyota TrueStart 84 month battery has died and I'm looking for a replacement. I purchased this battery about 10 years ago from the Toyota dealer because my son worked there as a "lot jockey" and he got me a heck of a discount. I really don't want to pay OEM prices for another Toyota battery because I might drive the truck 1000 miles per year as it is only used to go to the big box home improvement store and the local landfill.
The problem I am finding is the terminals are "backwards" on replacement batteries as the Toyota OEM battery has the positive terminal on the left as you are looking into the engine bay from the front and the terminal is towards the firewall instead of the front of the truck. The cables won't reach the terminals on replacement batteries I've found.
Does anybody know of a replacement battery that has the terminals placed similar to a Toyota OEM battery?

PLEASE do not tell me to buy an Optima. I'm not dumping that kind of money into a battery for a truck that is only driven 1000 miles per year.

Thanks
I just bought an AutoCraft Silver Battery, Group Size 27F at Advance Autoparts for my 202 SR5 4x4. No issues with the terminals. Mine is orientated just as you describe. I would not buy an Optima battery anymore. They have gone downhill.

Edit: I see you bought Toyota battery for $115. That is less than I paid at Advance Auto Parts. It didn't even occur to me to get one from Toyota! duh

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run Duralast Platinum AGM batteries. AGM batteries charge more efficiently and do not leak and corrode. There are Autozone stories available anywhere for replacement if needed. When not using a vehicle it may be best to keep it on a battery tender in order to maintain charge.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
PC2150 ODYSSEY® Drycell battery Is the one I use and it's great. just have to modify the battery hold down

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks
I have an 05 Tundra DC 4.7 V8 and I have a 7 year old Walmart Everstart Max group 24F, will likely buy another one soon for $94 + tax

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Thanks everybody. Nothing is simple when buying parts for a vehicle as everybody has their favorite brands and personal reasons why they hate certain brands. I used to get Kirkland brand from Costco, but now they switched to Interstate and some folks claim they are junk. True? who knows, but the warranty is limited on these Costco/Interstates as compared to the Toyota OEM. I found out by looking on the side of my replacement OEM Toyota battery that is was from 12/08, so I might shop around to several Toyota dealers for the best price as you can't complain about almost 11 years out of a battery, especially when it sits a lot. I do have a 27F battery which I failed to indicate previously.

Just off of the phone with the closest Toyota dealer to me and they want $115 for an OEM 27F. For the extra $20 compared to a Costco 24F or 27F, I might just go that route with the dealer to have a better warranty.

Wonder who makes Toyota batteries now?

Thanks again.
When I was younger, like 20 years ago (ha ha), I always heard interstate batteries were the way to go as they would outlast any other battery. I was also told to stay with the batteries in a white case were supposed to be better because you can count the plates in them. Like this had something to do with how good they were. Maybe, just maybe, that was the case many years ago, but.... my experiences with interstate batteries has been the worse!! These batteries have proven to be JUNK! I have went thru I don't know how many, that have only lasted 2 years tops! The bad thing is... I recommended interstate to my family and friends and ALL have had the same complaints. I'm now embarrassed due to this as they all had trust in me. INTERSTATE BATTERY'S SUCK!! Buyer beware!!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts

In my experience the 1Gen Tundra and many Toyota and some Honda vehicles use the 24F designated battery.
My rig came with the Cold Weather Package that includes the larger 27F battery which I found very difficult to source locally outside of the dealership. You'll need the "F" designation on the battery to maintain the proper orientation of the plus and minus terminals.
In the end I substituted the 24F for my 27F battery as they're easier to source and somewhat less expensive.
The 24F is sufficient for most applications in a Tundra or Toyota vehicle.
You should remove this picture of this interstate battery, they don't deserve to have their name up on the screen like this. They are JUNK!!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts

20190916_133943_resized (2).jpg

I love shopping Costco for Interstate automotive batteries.

Costco is:
  • Conveniently located
  • Priced right
  • Excellent return policy
  • 42 month free replacement warranty
Your mileage may vary ~ Costco has always done right my me for my automotive needs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
Jonesy
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing