Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

: TLDR : need exhaust and looking for suggestions. Daily driver car and just don’t want something that’s going to rot off again in three years.

I have searched the forums and can not find what I am looking for to help. Since I know the folks around here are always ready and willing I figured I would just go for the ask. ...any suggestions for an exhaust. I do not want “loud and throaty”. I am not looking for “major HP gains”.

175,000 mi on my 2000 limited tundra. Second owner. About 15,000 ago the stock muffler was rotten out to the point I could no longer tolerate it. So, seeing as it was close to Christmas, I found a “modestly” priced exhaust and ordered it.

Please don’t bash my ignorance, but it was headers back! (Yes, BOTH cats included). Yup. I shoulda known better. (Too good to be true, usually is)

Problem comes in... driving my kid home Christmas night, clang clang clang ... well. The tail piece from the up and over bend rotted through and fell off. AWESOME. The whole thing looks like it’s been there for AGES. Lesson learned.

I want to get a replacement, but I’m overwhelmed with the options. STAINLESS. Glasspack, split exhausts. I’m familiar enough, but this can make the head spin.

HELP!

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Start by reading this. No, not all 6 pages, just the first few threads by the OP. Very informative. Then after you do some reading just call him up, tell him what you want, and have him make it for you. You can take it to your local exhaust shop and they should have no problem installing it and for not a lot of money.
Buying from Keith wont be cheap, probably around $1000 or more for a cat back system, but it will be made of high grade stainless which wont rot off in a year. What you probably got was made of mild steel, not stainless, hence why it rotted off so fast, and why your OEM system lasted so long was because it was made of 409 stainless. Any exhaust system that is backed up by any kind of warranty will always be made of high grade stainless and the price will be about the same for most of them for that reason.

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/intake-and-exhaust/105038-how-properly-built-exhaust-system-works/

Reactions: LGL002

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are a few options you can take with your predicament, Option 1. you could go loud and cheap (50.00$) and get a Glasspack which will sound amazing yet be much much louder, Option 2. Flowmaster sells a large exhaust muffler which will likely be the same noise level as the OEM one while not being as cheap as the Glasspack will still be cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts