Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I broke the top corner of my key. Anyone know where to get a replacement?
I would like to have the same black top.

Is this a dealer item and how much would it cost?

Thanks,
<TUNDRA>

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey guys,
I broke the top corner of my key. Anyone know where to get a replacement?
I would like to have the same black top.

Is this a dealer item and how much would it cost?

Thanks,
<TUNDRA>
I went to Ace Hardware and had my replacements made. They were out of the Toyota branded one, but it otherwise looks the same. You can also try Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If the Toyota emblem is a must, then your best bet is a Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hence the reason for using the metal head keys for everyday use..... The replacement plastic key can be had at the dealership for about 20 bucks ,,, uncut

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I plan to purchase the blank from the dealership. I guess I am sort of funny about it and want the Toyota top.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cut the remaining part of the loop off and drill a hole in the key body. Did that with my T100 key. Works fine, those keys aren't chipped.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Can dealer make key by VIN?? The one i got with my truck is already cut out by some shop and it gives me trouble once in a blue moon. How do i get OEM original? I know for fancy new cars dealer can make one by VIN, what about Tundra?

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes indeed. i had trouble with my lowes cut keys and had the dealer make me 2. just used the VIN and all was fine. an exact key will be made to original specs.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
How mucho $$? My key gives me trouble in the ignition sometimes and in the doors. Happens once a week. I'm tired of it.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also broke the black plastic loop on my 2006 Tundra key. I tried to push a pin through the top and close the opening but it only worked for a week and came apart. I've been using the all metal key but it is not as comfortable as the softer plastic covered one. Since there is no chip in the key, I just went to the auto department of my favorite Wal-Mart and got a generic Toyota shaped key with black plastic for under $5. Wal-Mart is good about honoring your purchases and will recut or replace the key if it gives you a problem. I actually had 2 made since the price was right and they both work perfectly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man you guys are freaking awesome! All I can say is Thanks!
I was set on a factory replacement but jjjackies, you may have inspired me to step it up. Wicked man just Wicked!!!

<TUNDRA>

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I took my VIN to my dealer and they cut one for me for $12....

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Wow. I'm out to dealership after i swap tires over the weekend for my pretty shiny new key. I remember paying $70 for my "chipped" Maxima key + $70 in labor for total $140 :eek:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow. I'm out to dealership after i swap tires over the weekend for my pretty shiny new key. I remember paying $70 for my "chipped" Maxima key + $70 in labor for total $140 :eek:
No chip means all it has to be is cut right.

Chipped keys are stupid imho, specially the old GM ones with the exposed chips that wear out.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Chipped keys are good - kids can't get a free joy ride :) No monkey can start my vehicle without specific knowledge.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just purchased an 08 Tundra that came with a "Strattec" key. How do I know if it has the transponder/chip in it? Also, should I just purchase a key online (ebay) and get it cut at a Lowe's or Wal-Mart?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts