Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 sequoia unlimited JBL system,

im confused about replacement speakers...

im keep the stock headunit..(for now),,,

whats a good component speaker setup for the front,,and rear..

thanks for any advice
trent

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've always had great luck with crutchfield.com. They have fitment guides, and factory style connections to make everything a breeze. The stock JBL speakers are okay, but a cleaner amp can make them sound better. I'm sure you'll find the separates you're looking for, with the quality you want. They might even have the JLAudio center console sub still?? I know I've also seen the JL Audio rear sub for the Sequoia that fits in the rear drivers side compartment.

Installing a new set of speakers in your doors may also take some modification to fit the plastic mount. When I had my door panels off, I also installed some dynamat to calm down some of the rattles. Good luck..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the DYNAMAT instalaltion add any width or thickness that impedes reaasembly?

I've got blown rear speakers that I;d like to change and adding some DYNAMAT might be a timely addition.

THoughts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting the idea that speakers are not an easy thing for the sequoia!!! What component set up (brand) are you replacing the factory speakers with ??

Thanks
Trent

·
Registered
34 Posts
I received a speaker adapter today from Crutchfield. I was hoping it would allow my new 6 1/2 inch speakers to fit where the old ones were. NO SUCH LUCK! I paid $21 for these specific adapters for my 2001 Sequoia and only 2 of the screw holes line up with the existing mounting bracket. Making them work might still be easier than fabricating my own bracket. Funny thing is, right in Crutchfields instructions it says to "fabricate a speaker mounting bracket" to make it fit!!! What the @#$%&?. I would not have bought them if I had known that!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Bummer about the Crutchfield adapter! You would think that would have been a direct bolt on?? Let us know if you're able to make that work and what modification you had to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I installed a set of 6 1/2 inch speakers in my front doors of my 2001 Sequoia this afternoon. I used the speaker adapters that Crutchfield sent me even though only 2 of the 4 mounting holes lined up. It seems sturdy enough.I put a little marine 5200 adhesive on the parts of the mount and adapter that contact each other but could not be screwed. Hopefully this will provide some support and help reduce any rattling. It sounds fine now.

S

·
0 Posts
Since the factory speaker mounting brackets do not seem to work on any aftermarket speaker, I fabricated some with a 1/2 inch piece of plywood. I used the factory brackets to trace the 6 1/2 speaker opening, a compass would work as well, and used the mounting holes off the factory brackets as to where to drill the holes. I then mounted the plywood brackets to the door so I could get the orientation and then put the speakers in the hole up against the plywood and marked out the 4 speaker mount holes, then remove the plywood brackets from the door, drill out the 4 speaker mounting holes and used number 6 machine screws and nuts to secure the speakers to the plywood brakets and then re=attached everything back up to the door, it takes a couple hours but will save a bunch of money trying to find something already fabricated, once you do the first one the rest will all go quicker. There is no ratteling and the speakers are more than secure in the door and the windows clears the speaker magnet when all the way down.

Simple fix, just a little time involved.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what kind of speakers are u using?... just any 6.5 ? or are you replacing the tweeter to?...witha new compontent setup??

thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Any 6.5" will work IF, IF the magnet depth is not to deep, I did not measure it when I had it apart. When you have the door panel off, lower the window all the way down and measure from the inside door skin to the window, then subtract a couple of mm, that is the max depth magnet you can have and most speakers have this measurment right on the box. The tweeters are very easy to replace, the tweeter cover simply pops off and there are 2 nuts that hold them on. I put Alpines in mine, it is personal preference, just listen to a bunch of different ones until you find something you like, everyone's taste is different in what they consider good sounding speakers, I went with the Alpines as they sound good thru the entire range from bass to tweet. and they have the rubber surrounds which allows the speaker to travel a lot at high volumes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts