Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a new Sequoia. Need 2nd row bench (for 3 car seats). Want Platinum adjustable front seat.

Option 1, suck it up buy the Limited and forget the adjustable passenger seat, auto leveling etc.
Option 2, buy the Limited, and replace the front passenger seat (about 4k).
Option 3, buy the Platinum and replace the second row bench and sell the captain chairs and middle storage bin.

What do all you experts think? Anybody interested in grey captains chairs?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would consider test driving a platinum and then a limited. Others have commented on here how much smoother the drive is in the platinum, not sure technically why they would be different but there is a difference. Go w/ the platinum, buy the middle row, keep the captains chairs if you don't need the money, then if you had to sell it you'd have two options, or if you keep it you could change back to captains if your situation changes.

my .02

·
Registered
246 Posts
Okay, I have a short list of questions/comments:

1. My SR5 has power front passenger seat. Are you saying that Limiteds don't come with it? Not even as an option? WTF?
2. I was driving on a bumpy road the other day... it was an agonizing 3 miles. I kept thinking "I wonder what the Platinum feels like"
3. Aren't the "bench" seats and captain chairs the exact same thing? I thought the only difference was the middle hump. I am quite sure this is the case. If so, it appears that all you would need is to purchase the middle seat to turn it into a "bench."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I have a short list of questions/comments:

1. My SR5 has power front passenger seat. Are you saying that Limiteds don't come with it? Not even as an option? WTF?
2. I was driving on a bumpy road the other day... it was an agonizing 3 miles. I kept thinking "I wonder what the Platinum feels like"
3. Aren't the "bench" seats and captain chairs the exact same thing? I thought the only difference was the middle hump. I am quite sure this is the case. If so, it appears that all you would need is to purchase the middle seat to turn it into a "bench."
1. The platinum comes with an 8 way passenger power seat, the sr5 and limited are 4 way. I got a bad back and need the adjustment.
3. That is the first time I have heard that they may be the same and only missing a "center section". I will look into that. Thank you

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The lack of 3 seats in the Platinum is the only complaint I have with mine. Anytime I have more than 4 people I have to bring up the 3rd row. I would see if you could get a Limited with the rear air suspension? and have the best of both worlds.

The 3rd row isn't impossible to get to, but you definitely don't want to have to access it every day. In addition, the use of the 3rd row makes the cargo area in back really small. If I could. I'm pretty much SOL because I have the Red Rock interior that doesn't come with the SR5 or Limited, so it's not like I could just switch with someone.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
The lack of 3 seats in the Platinum is the only complaint I have with mine. Anytime I have more than 4 people I have to bring up the 3rd row. I would see if you could get a Limited with the rear air suspension? and have the best of both worlds.

The 3rd row isn't impossible to get to, but you definitely don't want to have to access it every day. In addition, the use of the 3rd row makes the cargo area in back really small. If I could. I'm pretty much SOL because I have the Red Rock interior that doesn't come with the SR5 or Limited, so it's not like I could just switch with someone.
I agree with you 100%, I prefer the bench. But Mr. TH likes the console, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just want to add that, for anyone reading this thread who has young kids/babies like me, the 8 passenger is the way to go. My 3yr old sits on the passenger side of the 2nd row and my 8 month-old sits in the middle of the 2nd row. This leaves the driver's side 2nd row chair free to slide forward and access the 3rd row. I swear it's better than a minivan..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any conclusions on the two captains chairs converting to a bench with the middle section added? I have had one Limited and am on my second Plat. I need the bench 2 to 3 times a year when I have 8 passengers. Would like to swap out for those times if feasible. I assume the seat belt assemble for the middle would safely work out as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here is the thing: The dealer will not "officially" address your question because legally they cannot get involved in the modification of safety equipment (such as a chair, because of the seatbelt and bolt-down stuff...).

What you guys need to do is speak to a mechanic, informally, to see if it fits, or perhaps start by talking with your parts counter guy and ask if the 2nd row chairs in the limited have the same part number as the 2nd row chairs in the platinum. This will probably NOT be the case because the Platinum has heated seats in the 2nd row, I believe. But you can see if the rail system on both vehicles has the same part number. This would be very easy to figure out by pulling up the schematic diagrams (exploded views) of both models.

If there is a dealer here on these boards, they should be able to at least answer that for us without any problems. Or feel free to PM one of us if you feel more comfortable...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts