Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do a head gasket on a 2008 5.7 with 230K on it. Truck is otherwise in good shape and runs great, and I really feel like has a lot of life left if I can just get the overheating under control which means a new head gasket.

Since I’m doing it myself and therefore saving thousands on labor, that frees up a lot of $$$ for some other new parts and wondering what all else I might want to replace while I’m doing this massive amount of labor and will have access to so much...

Short list I can think of offhand:

1) radiator (I have reason to think it needs it)
2) water pump
3) timing chains + tensioner
4) id say thermostat but that is pretty new
5) considering AC compressor since that looks like bit of pain to get to otherwise
6) don’t recall if it was the starter or the alternator but also remember thinking one time boy that looks like a pain to get to..?
7) drive belt + tensioner
8) goes without saying but any other belts/hoses/seals/gaskets/rings etc I encounter along the way

Any other ideas? Suggestions appreciated. And before you say “just get a new truck” blah blah , like I said this thing still runs solid except for occasional misfire due to leaking head gasket. Also it’s paid for so I’d like to eek some more life out of it! Now how much longer the trans lasts might be another story. Still rather replace a trans tho than go back to a car payment...

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
You've done your homework here. You'll save a bundle of money doing all this work yourself.
Keep us posted with your results.
The contacts in the Toyota solenoids can be problematic ~ especially with that kind of mileage.
I changed them on a V6 Lexus of ours ~ it's simple and inexpensive once you've removed the starter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts