Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a power antenna from a Sequoia that I installed in my Tundra. It worked great for about 10 mos, then started making a "ratcheting" noise when the antenna went all the way up (it goes up and down, but makes the noise when fully extended).
I ordered a new relay module thinking that the module was supplying power to the antenna longer than required, but still have the same problem. The service writer at the dealership told me it was the antenna mast (cable teeth are stripped) so I returned the relay and ordered a replacement antenna mast.
Question is this: Has anyone replaced one of these masts? I have the Tundra service manuals, but they obviously don't have instruction for the Sequoia antenna. Does anyone have access to the instructions for the mast replacement?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most of the antenna masts that I have replaced all work the same way. Take the top nut off the antenna then have someone turn on the radio. The entire mast should just start coming out like a snake. That top nut on the fender actually keeps the antenna in place. After you get the entire antenna mast out, compare it to the new one to make all the parts came with it. Remember which way the teeth were facing when the old one came out as you will need to do the same. With the radio still on, feed the plastic cable into the tube. When it stops, have someone turn off the radio because you will have to guide the new mast into place. It may take a few times but it's pretty easy. If the antenna is not all the way down on the first try, turn the radio back on and redo the process. After it is all the way down, reinstall the top nut on the fender and you will have a new mast installed.

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is why I am a Lifetime Member!!!!

Thanks Ndcent1 for the advice.
It only took about 5 minutes, and it fixed the problem on the first try!
I installed exactly as described. I unscrewed the nut on the top of the mast and put the antenna all the way up. When the antenna came out I was careful to note which side teh "teeth" were on the cable. Fed the new cable in and put the antenna down, installed the nut and viola! Works like a champ!
The old cable did have some chewed up teeth, so there is the problem.
This kind of help is EXACTLY why I became a lifetime member. I used to help my buddy at a stereo store doing installs and only replaced one Toyota antenna mast (in my girlfriends Supra). We had to take the antenna out, disassemble it and install the new mast. It was a pain. That's what I thought I was in for with this install.
Thanks again for the advice/instruction, it was greatly appreciated!

TS GUYS: Hey, why not put this in a "how to" forum?

Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got an OEM replacement antenna mast for my 2001 Sequoia off Ebay. It came with instructions essentially identical to those above - just a bit more detail on removing the old mast, if stuck.

My OLD mast came out easily the first time. New was same length as old - yippee.
But I cannot load the new one back in -- nothing grabs the toothed plastic -- in fact I don't feel any grating or vibrations like it's being touched my the mechanism.

Do you remember how far you had to feed in the new white plastic? Mine seems like it's in about twelve inches until it bottoms out. I'd appreciate anyones suggestions.

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had trouble with this a couple of times too. First of all, you need to make suure that the teeth are facing the right direction (I think that the teeth need to face the rear of the truck, if it doesn't work that way try facing the front of the truck). I cannot remember how far you have to push the mast cable in, but when you have pushed the cable in far enough you will know, you will be able to feel the teeth on the gear trying to grab the mast cable). If the teeth are lined up right it should pull the mast cable in. If not, it is pissible that the plastic gear that pulls the mast cable down has stripped (I had this happen on one of my antennas). In that case, you need to buy a new antenna assembly.
Hope this helps.
Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
New problem. I have replaced my antenna mast, however when I now turn the radio on it seems that when the antenna is fully extended, radio reception disappears. Note while the antenna is in process of extending, radio reception is fine.

I can physically push the antenna down a little and reception resumes but I figure that cannot be good for the motor longterm. Is there something I need to do to ensure that the antenna does not 'over' extend itself?

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vyyper1, that is a new one to me. The only thing that I can suggest that you disassemble, clean and re-assemble the antenna mast. Make sure to clean off the hardware and base of the antenna mast, lube with silicone spray before you re-assemble in case there was a bad "connection". Next thing you could try is a new antenna mast (exchange the new one that you have if they will take it back). If a new antenna mast doesn't fix the trick, you may have to replace the power antenna assembly.
I have taken a few of these apart, and they are very finicky, and the gears that extend/retract the antenna are made of plastic, so they strip or break easily. Again, this is a new one on me, but for what it is worth, that is the way that I would try to troubleshoot.
Good luck,
Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts