Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my factory hu on my 2002. I have the JBL sound system and its way too outdated and everything needs to be replaced. I am thinking about replacing the hu and using that amp to power the speakers. I am trying to bypass the amps but use the harnesses that go on the amps and connect that to hu so i dont have to totally rewire the system. I know the amp for the rear channels are right below the stock hu. Has anyone done this before and have a good strategy for doing this? I just want to replace the whole JBL system as easily as possible, I also have an aftermarket Alpine component system in the front and a subwoofer in the back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
are you putting in new door speakers or using the OEM speakers??? From what i have read and heard, if you use factory speakers with a new HU it will not sound as good. Usually they recommend is getting new speakers also. But i am no expert just going off what other told me. I am in the same boat. I want to re-do my system in my sequoia. I was wondering which Alpine HU did you go with? I am thinking about getting the IVA-D310.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently changed the OEM JBL Nav system (Pioneer AVIC-X930BT) because of what peteranthony11 said. Good system but it was outdated. I had to by-pass the JBL amp and I like the way the speakers sound now vs when they were with the original system. It is not that difficult to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already replaced the speakers a couple months ago to an alpine component system in the front and the cheap Boss replacement speakers in the back. Just replacing the speakers had a huge improvement but the headunit and the amps still sucked and couldn't get loud at all anymore. I ended up taking out the whole center console to access the JBL amp for the front speakers and realized that it would be easier and overall better (especially if i wanted to add an amp later on to power the components) to run new wire directly from the headunit to the speakers. Since I already installed a subwoofer that used the high level inputs from the rear speakers I already had found the wires and tapped into them for the high level inputs. I ended up just running wire from the headunit to where i tapped into the wire to save some time running the wire through the door.

Overall the system was a HUGE upgrade from the regular JBL system and did not cost much (Headunit: $180 Alpine Components: $70 Boss speakers: $30

1 - 4 of 4 Posts