Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to replace my factory shocks with Bilstein. Does anyone have any tips or pointers that I should be aware of, or just follow the directions? Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hmmmm....let me take a stab at it for you, as I am about to replace my shocks with Bilsteins HD ( 2002 Sequoia).

First off - you need a floor jack and sturdy jack stands.

The rear tube shocks are fairly standard in that there is a large bolt on the bottom and a top bolt. Clearance for the top bolt is tights- but appears sufficient.

The front shocks are inside a coil spring. You need a spring compressor - or as some have suggested, remove the unit and take to a shop to have the spring compressed and shock removed/replaced.

How handy are you with tools and working around a car/truck ? If you are, then this job does not appear too tricky.

I plan to finish the front with a fresh alignment.

Good Luck ( I know I left a lot of the details out - depending on your experience, you should be able to figure out by just doing a visual look over)

·
Registered
191 Posts
You remove the front shock assembly with spring intact. Then you do have to compress the coil spring in order to get the shock out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also make sure the rear ones are properly inserted into the top mounts and the nuts threaded square and tight. I had one strip out twice, so that the shock came loose, and had to replace the unit because the thread was stripped. Getting to the top mounts is a PITA. But the Bilsteins are a great upgrade.:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am planning on installing the rear shocks tomorrow and the fronts on Wed. I rented a spring compresser from Advance Auto for a fully refundable deposit. Do you have any tips getting the top nuts off the rear shocks? Also, what does PITA mean? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am planning on installing the rear shocks tomorrow and the fronts on Wed. I rented a spring compresser from Advance Auto for a fully refundable deposit. Do you have any tips getting the top nuts off the rear shocks? Also, what does PITA mean? Thanks
PITA- Pain In The A$$.

also, anytime any front suspension work is done, an alignment should be done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to replace my factory shocks today, and yes, it was totally a PITA. I gave up after about 4 hours of trying to remove my old ones. I lifted the rear on jack stands and couldn't get the top nut off either shock to save my life. I sprayed pb blaster and wd40 and still couldn't break the stud off. I tried twisting the shock with a wrench on top, and nothing. So I put my wheels on and tried the front. I made a huge mistake by only lifting the side of the car i was working on. By doing this, the bottom bolt of the front shocks won't come on or off evenly. You definitely should raise both sides of the front. Once I realized this and moved on, my spring compresser wouldn't fit the spring correctly and I completely gave up. I am considering taking to the dealership and letting them curse and swear at Toyota designers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
sounds like the $233 in labor i spent last week was well worth it !

Normally i do these things myself- but I got lazy. Watching the mechanic do it- I could plainly see it was a PITA job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got mine back from shop today 4 bilsteins installed
and alignment $218.00. No bloody knuckles for me :tu:
Rides like new.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would you describe the difference in the Bilsteins over factory? Just curious because my new shocks are still sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am familiar with Bistein HD's as well as Koni Adjustable shocks - I have them both installed on other vehicles.

I just installed Bilstein HD shocks on all four corners. My 2002 Seuoia came with Tokiko shocks - they were still in good shape after 80K miles.

The difference is very suttle - and certainly the ride is nowhere close to being too firm. What I think I notice is less of a "floating" feeling over bumps.

I am pleased - but actually wish the ride was a bit more firm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you are saying that the Bilsteins make the ride smoother or stiffer? Rougher over potholes or smoother? Do you like the factory Tokiko shocks better? Sorry, but I couldn't understand your description and I am deciding whether to resell my Bilsteins or install them. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hmmm....the ride change as I said is suttle to me.

What I "seem" to notice is less wallowing or bouncing. The ride over potholes is a litle firmer- but not something you would notice.

Then again- I like a firm ride. For me the change was marginal. The best aspect is the vehicle does not bounce around as much - in fairness, this is what I got the Bilsteins for.

·
Registered
115 Posts
for the front BE5-6024-HO
rear BE5-6738-HO

got mine for 289 bucks:tu:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts