Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult are the front shocks to replace? Do I need any special tools? I have replaced shocks before, but never on a coil-over type setup. Any advice is much appreciated. Also, Bilstein 5100 or Rancho's? I need a stiff ride for towing etc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you never done a coil over, it's a b!tch, and potentially dangerous
I got mine replaced for about $120. I wouldn't recommend the ranchos, they are super stiff, go with the factory bilsteins.
There are different types of bilsteins/stiffness, do a search to find out the difference's.
There is a thread that explains them all in detail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone tried the Rancho 9000 series on their Tundra? If so, how do you like them? I do alot of towing and hauling heavy loads in my Tundra so I am not too worried about a stiff ride. I have had excellent luck with Rancho's in the past.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Has anyone tried the Rancho 9000 series on their Tundra? If so, how do you like them? I do alot of towing and hauling heavy loads in my Tundra so I am not too worried about a stiff ride. I have had excellent luck with Rancho's in the past.
Just buy the Bilstein HD's, they are far better than rancho's or any other shock out there. Don't let the hd fool you, its just the name they put on them because they are one step up from factory.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just buy the Bilstein HD's, they are far better than rancho's or any other shock out there. Don't let the hd fool you, its just the name they put on them because they are one step up from factory.

Ok, I realize there are Rancho guys, and Bilstein guys. This will be an endless battle to wage especially on this forum. I have used both shocks for years and they are both excellent shocks except for the Rancho 5000's which I would only recommend for off-road use. I personally like the ride of the 9000 series and just want some opinions from Tundra owners who are using them. I have not had the chance to use the Bilstein 5100 series shocks yet, but they look like a great shock.

Are the Bilstein HD's the same as the TRD Bilsteins?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
The Bilstein HD shocks are the same as the red TRD shocks. Only difference is the color of the shocks. I can help you change your front shocks if you need assistance.

Rick

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok, I realize there are Rancho guys, and Bilstein guys. This will be an endless battle to wage especially on this forum. I have used both shocks for years and they are both excellent shocks except for the Rancho 5000's which I would only recommend for off-road use. I personally like the ride of the 9000 series and just want some opinions from Tundra owners who are using them. I have not had the chance to use the Bilstein 5100 series shocks yet, but they look like a great shock.

Are the Bilstein HD's the same as the TRD Bilsteins?
I dont think, HD's & trd's are the same shock. As far as which is better? I think rancho is made by monroe or some other brandname company that midas sells. As for bilstein, they are made by bilstein. There is a reason why bilsteins are 60-70 bucks each & ranchos are 30 bucks each, you get what you pay for. Im not talkin out my a** either I worked at performance center.com for 3 years in sales. We had meetings with just about every manufacturer, one a week just about. It was manditory by the boss that we keep up on all the product.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,301 Posts
Bilstein HD's

Just buy the Bilstein HD's, they are far better than rancho's or any other shock out there.
Don't let the hd fool you, its just the name they put on them because they are one step up from factory.

That's good advise :tu:

·
Premium Member
384 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I highly recommend the Bilstein HD's. I installed the rears (BE5 6025) and had a local shop install the front shocks (BE5 6024) because they are similar to a MacPherson strut and should be installed by someone who has the proper equipment. Front install cost me $150. The fronts are not a safe DIY install in my opinion. At any rate the performance is light years ahead of the stock units. These will firm up the ride and make the truck behave in a more predictable manner. The HD's in combination with the new rack bushings are worth every penney!

Good luck,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Running Bilstiens coil covers, great shock and still maintains a nice lift even with a ARB shara bar bumper winch,lights ect installed. One point have the coils put on at a shop, You can change them out your self in about 2hrs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings to All:

As a new Tundra Owner of a Used 2002 Tundra Access Cab SR5 2WD, I'm extremely impressed with this website and the information passed back and forth. Lots of good info, but almost too much for a newbie. Hope someone can shed some light on the following question:

I inherited the tundra from my son-in-law(probably a bad decision, not the son-in-law, but the truck) with 115,000 on it. Still runs great, but I believe it needs new shocks and the front brake mod. I've been reading the postings and have come up with the following Bilstein shocks for the front (BE5-6024) and BE5-6025 for the rear. The truck is stock. So will these fit, and when I do the mod to the brakes I'll check again.

thanks
jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put Rancho 9000's on my Tundra.

I wanted adjustable shocks so I could crank them up when I load up my Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper. Then back down with no load.

They were highly rated by the guys on the "RV.Net" RV forum, so that's what I used. I've had them two years.

I'm not saying that they are better or worse that Bilts, just that I have them and am satisfied.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Welcome Aboard
FYI
Make sure that the timing belt and such has been replaced as well.

Greetings to All:

As a new Tundra Owner of a Used 2002 Tundra Access Cab SR5 2WD, I'm extremely impressed with this website and the information passed back and forth. Lots of good info, but almost too much for a newbie. Hope someone can shed some light on the following question:

I inherited the tundra from my son-in-law(probably a bad decision, not the son-in-law, but the truck) with 115,000 on it. Still runs great, but I believe it needs new shocks and the front brake mod. I've been reading the postings and have come up with the following Bilstein shocks for the front (BE5-6024) and BE5-6025 for the rear. The truck is stock. So will these fit, and when I do the mod to the brakes I'll check again.

thanks
jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts