Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing Head Unit and Amp need wiring diagram,color codes Tundra 2003

Hi,
Help Is Appreciated!
I am replacing the Head Unit and Amp in my 2003 Toyota Tundra because the CD player plastic ejection gear broke. Can someone tell me which wires are which? And what wiring harness adapters I would need? I don’t want to cut up the factory wiring harness if possible.

I have a 2003 Tundra Deluxe cab. I have the 6-disc changer 8620-0C090 and the 6-speaker setup, which are 2 6.5” speakers in front and rear + two tweeters in the front. The small amp was located beneath the HU 86280-0C010.

Can someone tell me what these wires are? And hopefully send a wiring diagram.

There are two connectors going to the Amp:
The 6 pin Connector:
Yellow
Black
Red
Green w/ white stripe and silver bands (5VDC when lights are on)
White? Beige?

The 10-pin connector to the Amp
Red (12VDC) Battery?
Green
Grey (12VDC) Accessory?
Brown
Pink
Purple
Blue
Light Green

I think this connector is steering wheel controls (don't have them), it doesn't seem to do anything when I unhook it.
There is a connector coming from the amp that plugs into the HU and there is this 20-pin connector coming from the same wiring harness as the amp inputs that has 3 attached wires.

20-pin connector coming from underdash wiring to HU.
Blue w/ silver bands
Red w/ silver bands
Green w/ black strip w/ silver bands

I don’t know of any wiring adapter for this connector?

I think the wiring harness for the ones that plug into the amp is TWH-950 from American International?

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently the Lord helps those who help themselves. I used a voltmeter and found the power and grounds. and looked at a few wiring diagrams for tundras and I'm posting the results for anyone who needs them.

The 6 pin Connector:
Yellow
RL-
Black
RL+
Red
RR+
Green w/ white stripe and silver bands
Dimmer Pot (DC when lights on)
White
RR-

Red
(12VDC) Battery
Green
Dimmer GND
Grey
(12VDC) Acc
Brown
GND
Pink
FL+
Violet
FL-
Blue
FR-
Light Green
FR+

20-pin connector coming from underdash wiring to HU.Steering Wheel Controls
Blue
SW1
Red w/ silver bands
GND
Green-Black w/ silver bands
SW2

I don’t know of any wiring adapter for this connector?

I think the wiring harness for the ones that plug into the amp is TWH-950 from American International?

· Registered
59 Posts
| RADIO 12V|blue/yellow |+ |radio |
| RADIO GROUND|brown |- |radio |
| RADIO SWITCH|gray |+ |radio |
| RADIO ILLUMINATE|green |+ |radio |
| POWER ANTENNA| | | |
| LF SPEAKER|pink - purple | |radio |
| RF SPEAKER|green - blue | |radio |
| LR SPEAKER|black - yellow | |radio |
| RR SPEAKER|red - white | |radio |

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the information is correct that I posted for the my vehicle. I've installed a Pioneer stereo and the wiring is 100% correct. There could be other versions out there for all I know but the last posting definitely doesn't match my all of my wiring.

The 6 pin Connector:
Yellow RL-
Black RL+
Red RR+
Lt Green/White Dimmer Pot (Variable DC)
White RR-

Red (12VDC) Battery/Memory
Green Dimmer 12VDC
Gray (12VDC) Ignition/Acc
Brown GND
Pink FL+
Violet FL-
Blue FR-
Light Green FR+

· Premium Member
945 Posts

· Beer Me
1,677 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you to slapshot15 for posting the solution when no one else responded. The world would be a better place if there were more people like you.
Dude the post is like 5 years old. That's what the search feature is for. To find buried posts with helpful information. That's cool that you found it by searching but don't talk sh!t because no one responded in the time frame that you require.

And for future wiring. If you get any new headunit and a "factory to aftermarket wiring harness" they are all the same color between the aftermarket harness and headunit harness so you just butt connect the similar colors and plug in the harness and bingo bango bongo you have a new radio...

· Registered
27 Posts
Dude the post is like 5 years old. That's what the search feature is for. To find buried posts with helpful information. That's cool that you found it by searching but don't talk sh!t because no one responded in the time frame that you require.

And for future wiring. If you get any new headunit and a "factory to aftermarket wiring harness" they are all the same color between the aftermarket harness and headunit harness so you just butt connect the similar colors and plug in the harness and bingo bango bongo you have a new radio...
First I am not talking ****. It was a sincere thank you to OP for following up with a solution to his own question when no one replied. Most people on here dont bother. You need to chill out.

Doesnt matter if the thread is 5 years old, still helped out a lot.

· Registered
1 Posts
lol to be honest, the thred baioled me out on my p.o.s. 2001 tundra V6 SR5 2 wheek drve work truck that i slapped a touch screen jvc dvd player in with two 2500 watt amps pushing two 2500 watt 12" subs two 5 farad caps, two optima batteries, and a partridge in a pear tree.......

No really, the wiring pre jbl amp was kinda rough to track down till i came here. Its totally not even CLOSE to the stereo wiring. So this was a major help and saved me alot of time finding the Fuck*ng wires in there. So thanks for posting this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts