Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I crushed a section of the chrome rear bumper with a trailer with a bad coupler :mad:. Anyway, it didn't cause any body damage, just bumper damage. I found a bumper of the local Craigslist, but it doesn't have sonar, and I do. Am I crazy to think I can drill out the holes with a metal drill bit and put the sonar sensors on the new bumper? Are they easy to remove and reinstall? Anyone with some experience here, some advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
shouldnt be an issue....people have added aftermarket sensors and drilled into chrome bumpers...should be an easy enough task. the metal is pretty thin and should be easy to drill, just have soem patience. if u do a search for adding sonar (im way too lazy to try to find it) u can probally find the guy's thread where he added aftermarket sensors into his and drilled and what his recommendation was for the drill/hole saw he used....good luck.

on and PS people have removed the sensors and put them in aftermarket bumpers too so they are easy enough to remove. probally can just look at the backside of them from under the truck to see what it takes, cant be much.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Only other thing I can think to mention: Make sure you seal the edges of the holes you drill, maybe with some clear-coat or something... to avoid exposing the fresh metal (avoid rust). Otherwise, I agree that you should be able to just measure & drill the holes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx for the info. I was going to crawl underneath and take a look, but the cement here can bake a turkey in about 3 minutes. You have both confirmed what I hoped was possible, thnx

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
oh sh!t. dont expect us to be the confirmation...we dont know nothin haha we just guess :) no seriously though, in order to seal the edges u could just use some silicone in the hole and then assemble...it'll seal the edge nicely. and just back over the grass and then lay down under the truck to look. i burned my dam feet going to the mail box yesterday so i know what u are talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts