Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 Access Cab 4.7L V8, no modifications.

A year ago I had some work done on my Tundra and discovered that one of my rear axle seals was leaking grease onto my passenger side brake. I had the seals replaced, new pads put on and the drum cleaned. 1 year later took the truck back in and found out that now both sides are leaking grease onto the rear brakes. I drove from south Texas to Colorado after having the breaks cleaned and am now hearing a grinding from the rear end after driving for a bit and going over 30-35mph. It was suggested that I replace the whole rear end since it is an ongoing problem and there may be a problem with the differential bearings that is causing the seal leaks. I found one at a junk yard - 3.91 ratio, ABS w/ posi for $1000. Seems a bit steep to me, any thoughts? Any advice is welcome.

My other questions are...
Am I correct in thinking that my gear ratio is 3.91?

How do I find out if I have ABS in the rear end?

How do I find out if I have positrack, and if so if it is in the rear end?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
How do I find out if I have positrack, and if so if it is in the rear end?
You will have to jack up the rear end, put the tranny in Neutral and turn the rear wheels. If the turn the same direction you have LSD. If the turn opposite direction you do not have LSD.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 4x4 Access Cab 4.7L V8, no modifications.

I found one at a junk yard - 3.91 ratio, ABS w/ posi for $1000. Seems a bit steep to me, any thoughts? Any advice is welcome.
I dont thnik $1000 is too much. i thought my trucks LSD was shot so I called the dealer and labor only to replace the LSD was $1200.... i would go for it, IMO it is easier to swap out the whole axel that to tinker with the seals bearings gears and stuff....

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the helpful posts. I'm defiantly going to replace the whole axle, I just wanted to make sure I was buying the right one before I did. Thanks a lot for the link to the model numbers. Found out it is a 3.909 as opposed to a 3.916. I dunno how much of a difference it makes but I would rather be exact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts