Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the serpantine belt on 2000 4.7 V8 Tundra? I've done it on other cars before and sometimes it can be a chore. What's involved in the replacement? Is there an Idler Pulley?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Replacing serpentine belt on 4.7 Tundra

It's not that hard. Yes there is a tensioning idler pulley, that is where you use the ratchet to take the tension off the belt to remove and install the new one. It helps to have someone with another pair of hands help you change the belt. Also be sure to get the correct belt, they are different if you have the cold weather package or not (larger alternator).

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I did it by myself it took me an hour plus some duct tape. I used the duct tape to hold the belt on the lower pullys while I pulled the tensioner down, and put the belt over the tensioner. After I put it on the belt was still squeaking...then I looked at the belt I put on and it had Toyota on it. I thought wow the Gatorgrip says Toyota on it. I then realized that when I took the old belt off and put it down to answer my phone and came back, I grabbed the old belt :cry:. It looked like it was going to rain, so I called it a day. That weekend my dad helped me change the belt with the new one and it took 5 minutes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

BTW, it looks like the idler pulley (tensioner) is at the top of the motor, is that correct?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well it is more in the middle, just to the port of the center of the engine above the alternator. I am a big guy with big hands and found it easier to acces the tensioner from under the truck. I belive the socket size is 14MM, and turn COUNTER clokwise to lossen the tension. If you turn it clock wise you will remove the pulley from the tensioner and then the fun begins. I might have pics of what the tensioner looks like at my house...but I am at work now, sigh.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, I haven't taken a good look at it (only a glance) and I see what you're talking about now. Should be no problem.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pics of the tensioner:
I had ordered a new tensioner when I was replacing my belt becuase I thought that the tensioner was bad. It was not.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bro.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
When I did it by myself it took me an hour plus some duct tape. I used the duct tape to hold the belt on the lower pullys while I pulled the tensioner down, and put the belt over the tensioner. After I put it on the belt was still squeaking...then I looked at the belt I put on and it had Toyota on it. I thought wow the Gatorgrip says Toyota on it. I then realized that when I took the old belt off and put it down to answer my phone and came back, I grabbed the old belt :cry:. It looked like it was going to rain, so I called it a day. That weekend my dad helped me change the belt with the new one and it took 5 minutes.
Thank goodness for the duct tape idea! After 45 min. and half a tube of hand cleaner I relinquished to the duct tape. If you're trying to do this alone on Earth (where gravity is present), good luck! I swear my Gatorback was posessed when trying to do the ASP undrive pulley mod. 37 seconds and 10 inches of duct tape, I was done!

Thanks for the tip, Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts