Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Has anyone replaced the steering shaft boot on a 1-gen Tundra?
I just installed JBA's (had two cracked manifolds) and noticed the steering boot cracked. I'm getting that ticking noise above 2000RPM under load. I'll work on that problem next (sounds like a valve adjustment?) but I think the sound travels into the cab with the boot ripped.
Do I have to pull the steering column out of the way? Any info before I tackle this job will help. Thanks in advance.
Steve Natale
Rhode Island

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I'm on my 2nd one and it's already starting to tear after 80K miles.

I wonder if the ATV CV boot substitute that someone mentioned over a year or two ago was a suitable replacment. Problem is that no pics were posted, but I don't think you had to pull the intermediate steering shaft from the coupler to slide it over from the bottom up.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
From past posts I've read, the design of the steering couplers are different between '00-'02 and '03-'06.
I already had my coupler apart, and had my whole steering column removed from the truck when I replaced mine, so i couldnt tell you how much needs to be pulled apart to replace the seal.

The OEM number for the seal is: 45292-35090. PNC 45292 SEAL, MAIN SHAFT LOWER DUST

That seems to fit all '00-'06 Tundras, but double check with the dealer/vendor before laying down the cash...You should be able to give them your year/model, and then the PNC number for them to pull up the exact number for you pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I bought a seal for mine. Went to replace it, broke a bolt off the rusty steering coupler and said the heck with it. I'll wait until I can afford to buy a new coupler too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts