Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my speakers in my Tundra (when it actually gets here) right away. It has the non JBL 6 speaker setup. I pulled all my previous stereo upgrades out of my 05 4Runner that I had installed. I was using Elemental Designs 6.5" components (Elemental Designs). They can be mounted as coaxial or separate the tweeter like components. I would like to utilize these in the Tundra with the factory radio (that will probably get upgraded down the road). I will mount the speakers as coaxial in the rear doors but I'm not sure how I should mount them up front because of the dash speakers under the windshield. What size speakers are these anyways and how are the wired with the front door (crossover or in parallel?). Would I be better off mounting them as coaxial in the front and keeping the factory dash speakers or mounting them as components and putting the tweeter in the sail panel then disconnecting the dash speakers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an 07 that HAD navi/JBL system...I added two amps and subs and an aftermarket navi unit for video. I kept all the door and dash speakers stock JBL and put capacitors on the dash speakers...They are screamers and sound horrible. I was very happy for a while with the stocks but just yesterday had hertz components added in the front doors and coaxs in the rear doors...HUGE difference... Kept the stock dash speakers but really can't hear them..which is good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In my opinion, you should not use the stock dash speakers, run new wire to the doors, and mount your tweeters in the sail panels. The dash speakers are wired in parallel and I'm pretty sure they're an 8 ohm speaker. I've heard that the dash speakers aren't in the best spot for sound quality because the sound reflects off the windshield.

-Wes

·
Registered
269 Posts
In my opinion, you should not use the stock dash speakers, run new wire to the doors, and mount your tweeters in the sail panels. The dash speakers are wired in parallel and I'm pretty sure they're an 8 ohm speaker. I've heard that the dash speakers aren't in the best spot for sound quality because the sound reflects off the windshield.

-Wes
:tu::tu:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts