Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MPG in the 2007 Tundra?

this will be the deciding factor of buying the 06 or 07? I need the actual mpg the manufactuer says

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Re: MPG in the 2007?

I think its a no-brainer, an extra thousand or so pounds of truck, plus a litre larger engine...its going to guzzle gas like there's no tomorrow.

Maybe you and Dave Peters should sue if the mileage goes down. lol

·
Registered
868 Posts

First of all, the manufacturer doesn't set the gas mileage and it's certainly not "actual". It's tested under EPA guidelines which are flawed to some degree and then are clearly stated as an estimated value.

I have always gotten within reason of the EPA numbers (sometimes better, sometimes worse) on normal motors. Variable-cylinder engines and hybrids tend to exagerate the EPA test by a larger margin. The Odyssey in my signature has a variable-cylinder engine and the EPA sticker is quite optimistic. It doesn't get bad mileage for a vehicle that weighs nearly as much as a full-size SUV and has decent performance...(22mpg average) but the EPA sticker is just not realistic.

Regardless of what EPA sticker comes out on the '07 Tundra, I can't fathom how it is going to get better gas mileage in the real world.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Yeah, I agree:tu: First of all if it was me, I would not buy a first year model of a total redesign even if it is a Toyota, second or third year maybe. Also if fuel mileage is going to be the deciding factor well I'd sure be waiting to see some REAL WORLD mileage figures from some new owners before I would believe the EPA ratings for the new Tundra. My 05 does not get anywhere close to the published EPA ratings. As others mentioned above I can't see a bigger, taller, wider, heavier truck with a bigger motor getting better mileage than the current Tundra. I also don't think that the new 6 speed tranny will make much difference. The 05 and 06 models have slightly more power than the older versions plus the 5 speed tranny versus the old 4 speed and they still pretty much still get the same mileage. They would be very lucky IMO if they could even match the mileage of the current model. Personally I don't think Toyota is even worried about the mileage of the 07 as it's more likely targeted to people who just want a heavier duty work truck and as long as it gets similar mileage as the current models, Dodge, Ford etc. not necessarily better, then that's likey good enough for them. Don't worry I'm sure when the 07 comes out there will still be plenty of 06 models that they will be still trying to clear out at at a very good price.:sleep:

·
Registered
961 Posts

I bet the 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 will be rated very close to the 2006 Tundra in regards to hiway, and maybe 1mpg worse city.

This is exaclty the numbers the 2006 Titan is rated at 14/18 and 2006 Tundra 15/18.

Now I work in the Oil patch, and some guys drive the Titan, and there getting poor milage compared to my Tundra. The reason is simple, most trucks get OK milage when EPA tests, but as some as you start working the hi HP trucks offroad, or above the speed limit, the milage really goes down.

So I believe the 2007 Tundra will get the same milage as a 2006 Titan (OK if drove easy, and a gas gussler other-wise)

·
Registered
868 Posts

Don't worry I'm sure when the 07 comes out there will still be plenty of 06 models that they will be still trying to clear out at at a very good price.:sleep:
Very highly doubtful based on what I'm seeing. The '06 will wrap production in December with the new trucks arriving in February. I've been looking around at getting into an '06 before the '07's arrive and I'm having trouble finding what I want. I called five Toyota dealers within 100 miles yesterday and there was a total of eight Tundra DC's sitting on those lots, and three were 2wd which don't sell around here very well.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

My 06 consistantly gets 14mpg around town regardless of how I drive it so I wouldn't expect anything better from a heavier truck with a larger engine.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Lets see 5.7 = 350ci with a heavier truck. What 350 get good gas milage? lol No brainer.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Lets see 5.7 = 350ci with a heavier truck. What 350 get good gas milage? lol No brainer.
Actually believe it or not my 96 Z-71 which I bought new was the first year of the Vortec 5.7 350 and that sucker was getting pretty good mileage after it broke in, especially on the highway where I easily sucked out 20-21 mpgs on flat land with the cruise set. In town wasn't so great but that big engine in a big 4wd was comparible to my 2wd 4.7. You wouldn't think that would be the case but it was.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Actually believe it or not my 96 Z-71 which I bought new was the first year of the Vortec 5.7 350 and that sucker was getting pretty good mileage after it broke in, especially on the highway where I easily sucked out 20-21 mpgs on flat land with the cruise set. In town wasn't so great but that big engine in a big 4wd was comparible to my 2wd 4.7. You wouldn't think that would be the case but it was.
I agree, rear end gearing has allot to do with it. But my first ride was a 77 Silverado, gas hog big time. New heads, new edelbrock intake with a Holley 650, bumped my mileage up 5 extra miles to the gallon and it was faster. 89 Silverado was a little better, not much. But the efficiency of the 350 has come along way.

I bet Toyota will nail it and make there 350 pretty sweet and better quality. But no matter how efficient the fuel system is, any 350ci and above is a hungry motor no mater who's making it. If you want to best power, you gotta feed it. IMO

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts

Very highly doubtful based on what I'm seeing. The '06 will wrap production in December with the new trucks arriving in February. I've been looking around at getting into an '06 before the '07's arrive and I'm having trouble finding what I want. I called five Toyota dealers within 100 miles yesterday and there was a total of eight Tundra DC's sitting on those lots, and three were 2wd which don't sell around here very well.
I agree, my local dealer has zero in stock, next town over has one AC 4x4(which I really wouldn't mind owning), next closest dealer has zero as well.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Well, I guess you'll just have to come to Canada then, LOTS of 06's over here.:D

·
Registered
961 Posts

Well, I guess you'll just have to come to Canada then, LOTS of 06's over here.:D

Maybe in Manitoba, but not in Alberta.

·
Registered
935 Posts

There are three TRD crew cabs in Kamloops, BC. They are actually offering $1000 casback on all three of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: MPG in the 2007 Tundra?

There are 2 dc 4x4 tundra's in pentiction.
White one is new
red one is manager demo 8000km on it.

With the prices that the us are letting them go for i wish i would have persued the us bought truck a bit more.

All in all though i got the truck i wanted , for a decent price, and with the low interest rate.

Martin :)

·
Registered
868 Posts

Ha! You guys pay through the nose from what I've seen. We've got a $2,000 rebate right now in Ohio, other regions have upto $4,000 rebates and pretty much everyone is selling for below invoice. But inventory is going to be gone long before the '07's arrive. At least any desirable models.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Ha! You guys pay through the nose from what I've seen. We've got a $2,000 rebate right now in Ohio, other regions have upto $4,000 rebates and pretty much everyone is selling for below invoice. But inventory is going to be gone long before the '07's arrive. At least any desirable models.
Yep, you got me there:D WE have the "access Toyota Price" system where EVERYBODY pays the SAME full sticker price and loves it:eek: yeah, right. Actually if you really try you can get a bit of a discount BUT it's not much compared to the discount you guys get south of the border.:)

·
Registered
961 Posts

Yep, you got me there:D WE have the "access Toyota Price" system where EVERYBODY pays the SAME full sticker price and loves it:eek: yeah, right. Actually if you really try you can get a bit of a discount BUT it's not much compared to the discount you guys get south of the border.:)

Yeah it pisses me off, not only does Toyota Canada not deal on msrp, the msrp is 25% to 40% higher than Toyota USA (after the exchange rate is factored in).

·
Registered
30 Posts

The Tundra is the only vehicle I've owned that I can't meet or exceed the EPA mileage estimate. I suspect the 07's will be more of the same. Gas hungry.

·
Registered
246 Posts

5.7L V8 engine + heavy truck = poor fuel mileage no matter how you slice it. If I were in the market I would wait 12-18 months for the diesel powered Tundra. This also gives Toyota time to address some of the new car "bugs". This happened with the 2005.5 Tacoma, so it proves even Toyota isn't immune to new vehicle issues.

"Aside from Cummins, speculation leads us to only Caterpillar and John Deere as other possible US domestic diesel engine providers for a Japanese heavy duty pickup, but neither of those manufacturers has built an engine for this type of application. Ford has an apparent lock on Navistar's Power Stroke diesel.

Other speculation leads us to believe that if Cummins does ultimately build a diesel for Toyota and/or Nissan, that might force Dodge to seriously look at offering a Mercedes built diesel in the RAM HD, another move that would dramatically change the HD landscape. It would be awfully hard for a domestic buyer to purchase an HD pickup, other than the Ford Super Duty, that was 100% US designed and built if the Mercedes scenario become reality."

1 - 20 of 739 Posts