Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea on how much i could get for my truck if i try to sell or trade-in? I know a few on here have sold or upgraded. It's a 2007 with 42100 miles, i also have all the OEM equip (wheels, tires, suspension, radio etc...)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
681 Posts
kbb.com will give you a general idea. You will definately get more if you sell it privately vs. trading it in. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
kbb only gives you advertised prices, i.e. what people are ASKING. You need to use something like New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com to get a batter idea. Without a full list of what options you have installed, its hard to say. Definitely bnetter to sell it with all the original equipment and sell your aftermarket wheels etc separately.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
18 trade, maybe 21 private party...certainly take the aftermarket stuff off..it wont bring any more, probally will hurt at some dealers when trading....

·
Registered
681 Posts
kbb only gives you advertised prices, i.e. what people are ASKING.
kbb gives you trade in value, private party, and retail....I used it to get an idea of what my Titan was worth before I traded it in, and the dealer gave me what kbb had said it's trade in value was.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why not drive it down to Texas and trade it for my 2010? I think your truck looks sharp!

·
Registered
859 Posts
kbb gives you trade in value, private party, and retail....I used it to get an idea of what my Titan was worth before I traded it in, and the dealer gave me what kbb had said it's trade in value was.
No, they actually publish average prices that people are ASKING for retail and ASKING for private party. That is not the final price the transaction typically goes down at. Maybe you DID get what trade value kbb says, but trading and buying at the same place is all smoke and mirrors anyway. Especially if you finance there too. Up your trade, add a few hundred to their bottom line price on the new truck.

Put it this way, Carmax supposedly sell at KBB price. No haggle. But you can get the same car down the street for less money. Because thats the REAL selling price, not the asking price.

Carmax also tend to offer more money for vehicles (in my experience), but I would never buy one there. SOmetimes it is worth taking it there for a quote for your old vehicle before you head off to your new truck dealer. Good for seven days I believe.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the past several cars of ours we have gotten right at what KBB says for trade in...now the sales prices are skewed but the trade in prices have been pretty darn close....and carmax sucks. they low balled us on the last three trades we had, and got 4k higher on my vette, 3500 higher on a chrysler, and 3500 higher on our benz, by going to other dealers after visting carmax. i really really dislike their gimicks, they say they dont sell annything thats been wrecked etc...every time i walk their lot i see crap thats had panels repainted, most of the time very poorly, and my wife had a ram from them before we got married that had the whole front end rebuilt that anyone could see (well except her cause she didnt know waht to look for) but they sold it as if it was factory fresh....

as far as KBB goes, the trade in and private party values are not asking prices...they are what you "can expect"....the retail and CPO values are what dealers are ASKING and the starting point.....its on their site if you get confused.

Trade-In Value

Kelley Blue Book Trade-In Value is the amount consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in vehicle, assuming an accurate appraisal of the vehicle's condition, mileage and features. This value will likely be less than the Private Party Value because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business.

Private Party Value

Kelley Blue Book Private Party Value is the amount a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The
Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than any remaining factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

Suggested Retail Value

Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car, and the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history, but has not been certified in accordance with any Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program the automaker may offer (for which it may or may not qualify, according to factors such as vehicle age and mileage). This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Value

Kelley Blue Book Certified Pre-Owned Value is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car covered by the automaker's CPO program, and the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. Certified Pre-Owned cars are screened and reconditioned according to the automaker's CPO program specifications, and typically include warranty coverage that extends beyond any remaining factory warranty. Kelley Blue Book Certified Pre-Owned Value takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business, plus any value associated with the CPO program. The final sale price may vary according to the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

but at any rate, not arguing the smoke n mirrors deal...its all a numbers game but the private party and trade values are meant more as what one can expect and not as much the asking/starting points.... but alot of times u have to argue to get the KBB value, i had to once..the other times its been easy. (getting this tundra was the worst buying experience ever)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts