Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a retractable bed cover....leaning towards Retrax vs. Roll-N-Lock. What are the pros and cons you have experienced (I am more interested in the cons)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a Roll-N-Lock on a previous truck and I didn't care for the lost space in the bed from the canister.

With the weight of the unit it wouldn't be easy to take it out when you needed the full bed. I would never get another.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I believe the Retrax canister has a lower profile and much narrrower then the Roll-N-Lock. With the Retrax you can seee the slats where as the Roll-N-Lock the slats are covered a full sheet of vynl. The Retrax can be locked in any position, where as the Roll-N-Lock locks about every 16"

I myself have the Roll-N-Lock and like it. Although I prefer the lower profile look of the ReTrax and would probably get one if I didn't need to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the Retrax on my crewmax and like the cover. Only downside is with the rear window down there is a lot of rattling noise coming from bed cover while driving. With rear window up no noise can be heard from inside cab at all.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Retrax, pix in my gallery. The aforementioned Access Cover was my second choice. Big diff in price. Chose Retrax for more security. PistolPete also has some good Retrax pix in his gallery. Plenty of older threads as well and search engine actually working better.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I got a Pace Edwards bedlocker and it is the best investment ever. I am an electrician and I leave my tools in the bed and never get wet or stolen. The bedlocker is a electric metal roll up like the roll n lock, but is powder coated instead of the vinyl. I got mine for about $1400, but you can get a manual one for around $800. Mine has a remote that goes on your key chain, much easier than pulling some cord. It comes with a 3 year warranty, better than roll n lock. You can not even tell it is there from the side of the truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a Truck Cover USA, it has a smaller front canister than either the Retrax and Pace Edwards. Had a Pace Edwards on a previous truck, Retrax would have been my second choice--the PE top faded, nothing I found that would return the color for more than a few days.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the First Impressions Extang FullTilt cover on my long-bed. You say you are most interested in the cons so... 1. the tabs that keep it latched to the bed constantly loosen up. I was driving in high winds in California and the damn thing popped open at about 50 mph. HA! Scared the S*&t out me. Thought it was going to rip apart, held on tight though. Anyway, 2. Cold temps. I had to load the bed and failed to re-snapped the top down to the rail for about a week in sub-zero temps...needless to say it took a space-heater and a lot of F-bombs to get it back on. Other than that... I love it. I don't have pics of it on my computer until I get home in two weeks. If interested in the exact look, let me know. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts