Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a retractable bed cover on a double cab 06 long bed? Like a Retrax or a Pace Edwards TracTop (aka Jack Rabbit)?

Thoughts, criticisms, insights?

Thanks!

EDJ

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I would think anything with a rail, would get dirt in the slides and make it a difficult to open..

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Here's some info for you:

Retrax: Uses Lexan slats. The Lexan can scratch, so be careful. The cover is very shiney and without any texture, you will either like it or not. If you get one, order the optional lock cover. Some say they hear it rattle with the window down. The roll up cannister is larger than most others. If the Retrax covers the stake pockets, you can order the cover with the stake pockets cut out, Retrax charges an additional $25. Retrax will not let dealers discount more than 10% from the suggested retail price and that INCLUDES shipping. Personally, I believe that could be price fixing.

Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit: Vinyl laminated aluminum. The strange thing about this cover is that it has rather large humps in the cover. If you like vinyl laminated aluminum, take a look at RollNLock.

RollNLock: Vinyl laminated aluminum. A workhorse with very few problems. When closed, the tailgate cannot be opened.

Pace Edwards Full Metal Jacket: Black powdercoated aluminum. Very good looking cover. Any PE cover needs to be lubricated often.

Retrax:

RollNLock:

Jack Rabbit (top), Full Metal Jacket (bottom):

·
Registered
26 Posts
[FONT=&quot]I have a roll n lock cover on my 2004 double cab

Pros:
1) I like the look of the vinyl cover over the retrax's shinny plastic look.
2) It locks to the tailgate so its not necessary to have a separate tailgate lock
3) Takes up very little space in the front of the bed

Cons:
1) Not watertight (but no retractable is) I have added some weather stripping and silicone sealant to my cover so only a very little amount of water gets in now. Without the weather-stripping it leaked like a basket. But most of the water issues I had was due to seal of cover against the rough texture of my spray on bed liner, which would not be a problem on the plastic bed in the newer gen Tacoma.
2) On newer Tacoma I think you loose your tie down rails
3) Can only be locked every 12"

[/FONT]

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
I had what I considered to be the best of both worlds, an Extang Full Tilt Tonneau cover. It looks like a regular soft tonneau, but flips open like a hard tonneau, and you can remove it from the truck in about 30 seconds without unsnapping it. I plan to get one for my new tundra also. :tu:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Anyone put a retractable bed cover on a double cab 06 long bed? Like a Retrax or a Pace Edwards TracTop (aka Jack Rabbit)?

Thoughts, criticisms, insights?

Thanks!

EDJ
I dont have a long bed, but I dont think it really matters... I installed a Retrax on my short bed last year and I like it very much. Sure I lose some bed space, but considering I rarely ever need the entire bed its not much of a concern.

One of the reasons I chose the Retrax over the others was that it locks at any position. This may or may not be a concern, but I like the idea of being able to lock it where ever. When I have a box or something else that requires it to be open, and I have other smaller things that fit underneath the cover that I dont want blowing out, or someone stealing, the ability to lock anywhere is a necessity. Besides, with the 5 foot bed, with a foot or so already lost due to the cover canister, for a tonneau to lock every 12"... whats the freaking point?

The finish on the Retrax is nice, especially with the snow as it slides off from it easily. I dont know how well the other covers would fair with the rough coating or vinyl. I would think the vinyl would be too easy to rip or cut. Since the bikes are right above the cover, I wouldnt want to risk cutting vinyl or damaging it with crap falling off the tires, etc.

Its nice having the lock/handle on the drivers side so you dont have to reach from the center of the truck. I can imagine watching people having to climb into the bed to retrieve the strap with the Pace Edwards...

Since Pace Edwards wouldnt get off their a**es to make the Explorer Series available for the Tacoma, I took matters in my own hands...

Gallery :: Retrax and Yakima rack

Since the electric Pace Edwards is avail for the long bed, you may want to give that one some thought, if the sticker price doesnt scare you away. And you like the idea of not being able to get into the bed if the battery or wiring goes south.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts