Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Retractable Truck Bed Cover

12K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  truckman249 
#1 ·
Anybody have a recommendation on a good retractable truck bed cover. I like the Pace Edwards stuff but I have not used it.

#2 ·
I have had three Pace edwards covers on my last three trucks.
PROS: Works pretty well overall. Much better since I started using pure silicon spray lubricant on the rails. Has a lock. Multiple positions to stop cover on rail.
CONS: NOT waterproof. If it is in the rain, water WILL get into the bed. Can't stop liner at any point along track to keep partially covered and partially open. Expensive. I paid around $1100 installed for my latest (Chevy Long bed). That's for the manual retracting model. They do make a power model which I know nothing about, other than it costs more.
OVERALL: I haven't found anything better for my uses. I really dislilke that for over $1K, it isn't waterproof, but that's my main complaint. Four trucks ago, I had a cover with the pull over plastic ribs. It was waterproof, but didn't lock and, when cold, was almost impossible for me to reseal once open. I would love to hear of a lockable, retractable liner that is truly waterproof. Otherwise, this seems the best alternative to me.

#3 ·
I have a Tuk-it on my Chevy. Pickup Truck Soft Top, Pickup Truck Cap - Tuk-it Retractable Canopies I asked Ron if he was going to make one for the new Tundra. He said he is working on a design for the new Chevy truck, so if there are enough sales of the new Tundra he would make one. It would be 6-8 months though.

I really like this design and it is very flexible. Fairly waterproof, as good as any fiberglass top I have had.

#4 ·
So how would it compare to a Softopper? This one seems to be relatively easily removable and not that expensive (~$600). They seem to have updated their website showing a new Tundra DC. It does seem to block almost the lower half of the rear window when not deployed, however, not any more than a truck box would or the rear headrests do anyway.

#5 ·
Don't count on any of the retractable covers to be waterproof. Yours may or may not end up being watertight, it's a crapshoot.

Pace Edwards: The best looking one is the Full Metal Jacket which is black powder coated aluminum. If you get any PE cover, lubricate it often.

Retrax: Uses Lexan. Lexan can scratch, be careful. The Lexan slats have no texture and this the cover is very shiney. Some say they hear the cover rattle with the window down. The roll up cannister is a little larger than others. If you get a Retrax, get the optional lock cover.

RollNLock: Vinyl laminated aluminum (same as a Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit, but better looking). A workhorse with no reportable problems. You will need to occasionally put an "Armorall" type protectorant on the vinyl.

#6 ·
I love my Access tonneau cover....inexpensive and water tight

#7 ·
I don't have any experience with the others mentioned but I do have a Retrax installed on my 05' Stepside Limited and I am very satisfied with the fit, finish and ease of use. It is not 100% waterproof but its damn near. I didn't see an optional lock but I mine did come with a keyed lock. Between that and my locking tailgate I'm very satified with the security aspect. There is some minor noise when traveling at 70 MPH with the rear window down but I can live with it. It is shiny blank and quite honestly it looks great on my grey truck. I gave it a good wax job and I'm not concerned about scratchs i.e. I don't set things on top of the cover. Another nice feature is that it can be locked at any position on the rails. I purchased this directly from Retrax and the service was top notch. Since I've installed this, I've had a number of people comment on this cover. At about a $1000 with shipping, it was a good investment. rob

#8 ·
Undercover Tonneau Cover for 07 Tundra Double cab

Just took delivery of my new 07'TundraDoubleCab4X4 and preparing for a 1,200 trip from Daytona Beach Fl to Upstate NY and in looking for a hard Tonneau Cover for it I called undercover. They told me it would be maybe another 6 weeks until they have the first ones off the assembly line.

So went the ebay rout and bought a cheapie Torza Sure-Fit from BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com for 150.00 plus 32.00 for 2nd FedEx. I’m hoping this
Cover will solve my immediate need and later this summer when Undercover has their channels full I can go that way.

Has anyone any experience with Undercover vrs other Hardcovers?

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the input.[/FONT]

#9 ·
XCurrent: There's an optional lock COVER. Very inexpensive and keeps junk out of the lock mechanism.

Access Cover is a very good soft cover.

Undercover is a GREAT hard cover and a personal favorite of mine. It's lightweight, easily removable, can stand on it, has a 3 LED bedlight, covers the rails for better waterproofing, the tailgate cannot be opened when the cover is down, but only comes in black. Great bang for your buck at an average price of about $650.

#15 ·
Too bad they cant accomodate the bedrails...
They recommended that I remove them, ifI were to install this product.

#16 ·
OK, I finally decided on the Truck Covers USA.... BUT....They require the existing bedrails be removed prior to installation of their product...

Anyone done that ? How difficult is it to do DIY ??

#18 ·
Oh my, you HAVE to look at the truxedo tonneau ... thats what I have. extreemly water tight, no leaks in car wash, locks, and it has a model for the tie down rails, wich I have,I love it, only one to go with for me. also rolls up to the cab (velcro on the sides)

#19 ·
do yourself a favour, I have a truxedo, I love it, not a single leak in high pressure car wash, works with the tie down tracks (special model, actually uses them to secure the tonneau rails) locks, rolls up to the front, very very happy with mine.

#20 ·
Look at the truxedo, I have a limited with the rails, and it fits awesome integrated into the tracks, no leaks, locks, looks great.

#21 ·
Oh good lord.... I'm sorry, It said that it didnt go through the first two times ..... well now that I look like a psyco, I'm outa here.

#22 ·
I have the Rollbak cover on my double cab. locks in place then you use the tailgate lock to secure the entire cargo area. Its so strong I have actually stood on it (220 lbs) and worked on my garage cieling. Install is a real pain though. I installed it 3 times over a total of 6 months before I finally got it straight and all the bugs worked out.

#23 ·
I am avoiding cloth 'roll-ups' due to the fact that I live in Chicago...nuff said.

I'll ck on the rollback, but I will go with a 'secure' yet adjustable cover.

#25 ·
OK, I finally decided on the Truck Covers USA.... BUT....They require the existing bedrails be removed prior to installation of their product...

Anyone done that ? How difficult is it to do DIY ??
I also want to go with the Truck Covers USA. However, removing the bed rails does not interest me. The weird thing is that there website shows an 07 tundra with the bed rails remaining. HMMM?...check out the link...Truck Covers USA Toyota

#26 ·
I bought the Truck Covers USA roll cover through the dealer when I bought my new tundra. What I was looking for was a waterproof cover because I work on expensive machines that I need to keep dry. Unfortunately I don't think this cover was made to work in a Tundra. The cover isn't wide enough to fit the system correctly. There is a stop on either side of the bed that 2 metal tabs flip out and rest on when it's closed. The issues I'm having is that the bed seems to be wider than the system was built for so the metal stops on the cover are not hitting the stops on the rails correctly plus the cover leaks. I can't get a solid seal on the back. I love the cover I just don't think it's made well for the tundra. I've talked to the dealer and they are going to give me my money back for the cover since it leaks and doesn't fit well. I think I'm going to get a camper top. That way I know it should be waterproof and my dog can ride in the bed easier. Anybody have any suggestions of a brand? I havn't had a truck in about 10 years. I've seen lots of Leer toppers out there. I want one that's really functional. Possibly has lights in it since it will block the bed light on the back. I like to hunt and go camping a lot so if you have any suggestions please pm me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.