Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I originally wanted the Fold-a-Cover, but they are $1200 up here, so we went with the Extang Solid Fold for $800. Glad we did! Although with the dollar being at par now, I should have driven to Buffalo to get one... oh well.

The good:

The thing is by far the best value-for-money in terms of a solid folding tonneau. The best part was that it literally took my wife and I longer to open the box it came in and find the instructions than it took to install it! This is definitely NOT the case with the Fold-A-Cover (or most solid folding covers in general). The fact that I can completely remove it from the truck in about 90 seconds if I need to carry an MX bike or something large is fantastic. No, it isn't lockable, but the tailgate is and that's enough for me. It hooks into the deck rail system (they have another model with slightly different clamps for Tundras without the deck rail system) and the springs in the speed clamps at the rear have the perfect balance between holding it tightly on the truck and still being easy enough for my wife to un-hook. It can be driven with it folded up against the front of the bed, as it comes with straps and click-locks. The seals are of decent quality and seem to seal the bed quite well. We drove through a ton of rain coming home from the Supercross race downtown last weekend (worst storm we've had here in a couple of years actually - the same one that recently caused all of that flooding in the Northeast U.S.) for over an hour on both, the highway (up to 80mph) and through town and the bed was bone dry. We'll see how that changes as the seals age, but for now, it's great. Overall, the cover seems very well thought-out and well-made. It has a 3 year warranty too, which is better than most.

The not-so good:

The instructions tell you not to over-tighten the front clamps, as they are plastic. However, I installed it on a fairly cool day (right around 0C/32F) and when it warmed up a couple of days later, they expanded slightly and loosened and the cover crept towards the front of the bed a little, leaving a gap at the tailgate. No biggie, I just re-positioned it and tightened the clamps down a little more seriously and it hasn't budged. Just be fore-warned that the rear speed clamps which are spring-loaded don't really hold the cover in the proper position on the bed rails, as this job is done by the two front clamps. The rear speed clamps just hold the folding portion down.

The front wing-nut plastic clamps that they tell you not to over-tighten, kind of get hung-up on the underside of the deck rail as you tighten them. However, Extang included an alternative mounting bracket kit that is labelled as being for a Tacoma, but from what I can see, it would work on the Tundra's deck rail system too - it is just a set of spacers with a machined edge that mimic the deck rail, but bring it further inside the bed, so you have more clearance to tighten down the plastic clamps. I will try this install this weekend and report back.

Overall, these are two very minor issues and have not altered my post-purchase satisfaction at all. Great product and in my opinion, the best value-for-money out there. That being said, this is my first pick-up truck and tonneau cover.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Sounds like you found a great Product! Do you have any photos?

Have you driven with it folded up yet, do you think the front clamps are strong enough?

·
Registered
175 Posts
So with the tailgate closed and locked, the truck bed is relatively secure with the cover in the down position...corrrect?

My concern is when I have the cover folded up...I assume someone can walk by and unscrew the two plastic nuts and take off with my $800. I guess if I get one, I'm gonna have to remember to either take it off and store it inside the truck or make sure it's all the way down.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the review...BTW

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Well, they only fit so many trucks. You could also run a cable/chain to the front clamp & lock it to the bed tie-down hook to help slow them down a bit.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Good Write up... And I feel better now after spending all that $. Bottom line: simplicity and value for the buck. BTW: I just picked up mine yesterday. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hey, let us know if it leaks when it rains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good Write up... And I feel better now after spending all that $. Bottom line: simplicity and value for the buck. BTW: I just picked up mine yesterday. Thanks again.
I was all excited to till it started leaking. Love the fold concept. But don't like my valuables getting wet.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Mine leaked so bad they kept sending me new seals till I got fed up & asked for a refund. I sent them many photos of how 2 TV's got rained on under their cover as well as a movie of it leaking.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine leaked so bad they kept sending me new seals till I got fed up & asked for a refund. I sent them many photos of how 2 TV's got rained on under their cover as well as a movie of it leaking.
Sorry to hear about the problems with your Solid Fold, perhaps the style for the old generation Tundras was different? I also have one on my 2010 and have been through rain and washed it many times with no water issues at all. Glad they gave you a refund, not a cheap accessory by any means.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Togman - did you replace it with something you would recommend? I'm having trouble deciding on a fold-able hard tonneau for my 2002 Tundra.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Well, I didn't exactly replace it, I just put my ARE Cab High Cap back on. It keeps things much dryer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts