Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you deal with a company (Toyota) that allows distributors like SouthEast Toyota to add on options that are cheap substitutes (poor materials, for more money than factory) to new vehicles.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one TOYOTA, and I count on them to protect me from Rip-Offs. I shouldn't have to "know", or do a lot of research, to avoid these problems. I ended up with Park Pilot which, I can tell you, is a poor substitute for thr Front and Rear Sonar.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this item on a truck I otherwise love.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
How do you deal with a company (Toyota) that allows distributors like SouthEast Toyota to add on options that are cheap substitutes (poor materials, for more money than factory) to new vehicles.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one TOYOTA, and I count on them to protect me from Rip-Offs. I shouldn't have to "know", or do a lot of research, to avoid these problems. I ended up with Park Pilot which, I can tell you, is a poor substitute for thr Front and Rear Sonar.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this item on a truck I otherwise love.
I was worried about getting stuck with this second-rate option too. I'm thankful that my order sheet says fron and rear sonar and not park pilot....when I ordered the thing, I had no idea there was difference.

It irks me too that cruddy aftermarket BS is added to a brand new truck and sold as Toyota OEM...it made me want to go over everything weith the dealer.

In some cases this is OK...for instance Toyota uses aftermarket bushwacker flares accross the board, as well as other items like all weather floor mats and weathertech floor liners. At least these products are of high quality, and they are made specifically for the tundy.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would be royally pissed off, also, since there's no way to remedy what you've got. When the salesperson told you that your truck had "sonar' you had every right to expect a factory sonar. You shouldn't have to go look on websites to find out if your sonar is the same as what everyone else is getting. SET is anticipating $11 billion in revenue this year. It's no wonder.

I'm in the GST region and that's why I'm not even going to attempt to mess with this system. When you go on the lots, here, you see all sorts of port and dealer added options like XM radios, spray in liners, chrome 20" wheels, tape stripe, steps, fake wood appliques. These are all things I can order and do myself. Give me the moonroof, nav, sonar, cold kid - things I can't install myself.

I'm going out of state.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I were to buy a tundra brand new, I'd order it from the factory, have it delivered, and tell the dealer not to touch a damned thing on it.

It's terrible that the dealer adds on a bunch of tacky crap and puts a big markup on them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Toyota has no control over what dealerships do to the trucks after delivery. Dealer add-ons, markups, etc. Don't blame Toyota, blame the dealerships... they are franchises and privately owned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey SFTundraMan,
It would seem you work at a dealership how would one be able to protect themselves from something like this? How can you tell buy looking at the window sticker if it is a factory option from Toyota or some guy working out of truck?

·
Preferred Dealer
136 Posts
Hey SFTundraMan,
It would seem you work at a dealership how would one be able to protect themselves from something like this? How can you tell buy looking at the window sticker if it is a factory option from Toyota or some guy working out of truck?
All the factory options are contained on the large factory sticker. If there are any additional options/accesories/markup by the dealer, there will be a small sticker next to the main one detailing what was done and what they are charging for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didnt know if the so called port add ons would be on a seperate sticker.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
All the factory options are contained on the large factory sticker. If there are any additional options/accesories/markup by the dealer, there will be a small sticker next to the main one detailing what was done and what they are charging for it.
Thanks for answering for me, but you probably dont know and I didnt know until I started on here but those dirty south dealers do things way different then we do. They add on a bunch of options at the port and that info is on the big window sticker. The only thing I could say that would let you know is that if it isnt in the brouchure then it is probably a regional option that they pile on your guys down there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cory,
The Dallas area could use a guy like you, but I wonder if its the dealer that makes the sales man out to be an @ss at times..... To many sales people are only interested in just making a sale. Its a shame that I lived in Texas for 10 years and have bought 7 different vehicles from seven different dealers. Might not make a mint from me on a sale, but I love that new car smell.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Thanks for answering for me, but you probably dont know and I didnt know until I started on here but those dirty south dealers do things way different then we do. They add on a bunch of options at the port and that info is on the big window sticker. The only thing I could say that would let you know is that if it isnt in the brouchure then it is probably a regional option that they pile on your guys down there.

Yea but us ex California dude's like to tell them where to go reason why I buy my truck out of the Southeast Toyota Area too and your right they do thing's differently in the south. Cory have you seen the crap Southeast Toyota add's on there car's and truck's...

Erik

> southeast Toyota add's this stuff from there Jax shipping port and add's this to the Price of a car/truck some of this stuff is renegotiable during a sale too :sleep: also in the set region we can have leather added which was a feature only reaserved for a Limited Tundra and some of the add's on can be decent and some are rather tacky to say the least..

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Cory,
The Dallas area could use a guy like you, but I wonder if its the dealer that makes the sales man out to be an @ss at times..... To many sales people are only interested in just making a sale. Its a shame that I lived in Texas for 10 years and have bought 7 different vehicles from seven different dealers. Might not make a mint from me on a sale, but I love that new car smell.
I believe in life and also in car sales. You are ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR TRAINER.

If your boss was a slime ball, chances are, you will be too. I started off working for my Uncle 11 years ago. He sold cars for the fun of it. He doesnt need the money. He got off on closing deals. So He never had me play the games that I hear about and have seen many times at several different dealers.

But lets not get confused, THERE ARE PLENTY SLIME BALL CUSTOMERS TOO.

So over the years, it probably equals itself out.

All I can do, is what I have always done, when it stops working, I will get out of the business. So far so good

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cory,
I concur. Cory, like myself, realizes the value of building relationships in order to generate repeat business. A lot of car guys are in it simply to make a sale right now, and utilizing any tactic neccessary.

Here in SoCal, we have about 60 dealers competing for business within about a 100 mile radius. Can you say cut-throat!!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I concur. Cory, like myself, realizes the value of building relationships in order to generate repeat business. A lot of car guys are in it simply to make a sale right now, and utilizing any tactic neccessary.

Here in SoCal, we have about 60 dealers competing for business within about a 100 mile radius. Can you say cut-throat!!
it is the same way up here, there is another dealer every 5-10 miles and that is no exaggeration

1 - 15 of 15 Posts