Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already put this same post on the Dealers and Pricing area, but wanted to warn the rest of potential victims.

"How do you deal with a company (Toyota) that allows distributors like South East Toyota to add on options that are cheap substitutes(poor materials, for more money than factory) to new vehicles?

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one TOYOTA, and I count on them to protect me from Rip-Offs. I shouldn't have to "know", or do a lot of research, to avoid these problems. I ended up with Park Pilot which, i can tell you, is a poor substitute for the Front and Rear Sonar.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this item on a brand new truck I otherwise love."

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Before you get really mad at Toyota, you may want to do some research on why they have to sell through SET and GST.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It's a shame that this guy was told he was getting sonar but what he got from SET was not the front/rear sonar with the visual display as shown in the Tundra iGuide but an aftermarket rear-only Park Pilot that beeps with no visual display. I believe the price is even higher than factory sonar.

I guess he should have done his research to ensure that sonar or any other option is the same one that is shown in the Toyota website/catalog. Someone other poor sucker is going to pick up his truck from SET and find an aftermarket nav with the backup camera hooked up to another monitor in the ceiling.

I would be royally pissed, also, because there's no way this can be remedied. The only reason this was done was so that SET could make more profit with their aftermarket devices than they would if they sold a factory-installed sonar. SET expects to book $11 billion in revenue for 2007. It's also the same reason why we can't get factory DVD players in some regions like GST. The aftermarket devices like the headrest system are more profitable for the dealerships.

·
Preferred Dealer
1 Posts
There are alot of parts that are only available through SET and GST. TMS likes to offer some of the same parts but usually at a higher price. The park pilot is a part that is only available at SET to my knowledge but not sure about GST. We have alot of customers with the park pilot on there cars and they love it and have no issues with it what so ever.

What is it exactly that you don't like about it?

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Don't make excuses for Toyota! They have one of the worst dealerships in the nation and are just a half a step up from the big three. This is one area that has always dissapointed me in the last 20 years I have been purchasing Toyota's. All dealerlships are crooked and will rip off a disabled Vet if they get the opportunity. Honda IMO is the best dealership all around for non luxury type cars. My wife and I went to the Lexus dealership to buy her a IS350 and I felt like I was at a shady Ford Dealership. :mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
i have to agree with some posters about it being shady becuase i had to really dig to find the whole deal on tundra options, it took weeks (this site was the biggest help). i understand making money on aftermarket stuff and i know some of it is better so toyota should put the info out there for all to easily see. these regional gruops are toyota reps and toyo has a responsibility in this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I, and anyone else that's had a "real" paking sonar, don't like about the Park Pilot is that:

1. It beeps all the time you are going slowly.

2. It doesnt have the dash indicator telling you which corner is being activated.

3. It costs $575 versus the $500 for the factory unit with the dash indicator.

4. It has a cheap, wobbly little knob at the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering wheel instead of a factory on/off switch.

The directions don't mention the cheap knob; whether it turns ithe system on/off, adjusts sensitivity, or adjusts volume.

And these are just the things I can think about now. This unit sucks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can tell you right now if my truck were to show up with aftermarket parts on it like this I would get my money back and leave. I realize that people in the SET area have to live with this, but to me ordering factory products and getting aftermarket "Factory Installed" is completely unacceptable. I am Illinois so I don't think I have to worry about it. But if my parking sonar isn't as shown in the iGuide they will have one more truck sitting on their lot. Now if they are putting exactly what toyota would have put in, I have no problems. But when you start substituting obvious generic parts, that is just not right.

P.S. I am a pretty laid back guy for the most part. But when you are spending this much money, you have to draw the line somewhere.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I already put this same post on the Dealers and Pricing area, but wanted to warn the rest of potential victims.

"How do you deal with a company (Toyota) that allows distributors like South East Toyota to add on options that are cheap substitutes(poor materials, for more money than factory) to new vehicles?

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one TOYOTA, and I count on them to protect me from Rip-Offs. I shouldn't have to "know", or do a lot of research, to avoid these problems. I ended up with Park Pilot which, i can tell you, is a poor substitute for the Front and Rear Sonar.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this item on a brand new truck I otherwise love."
Tgallen....I believe that you and I spoke in the parking lot at Hampton Hill Gym this morning! I was the dude in the red Tacoma with all of the lights on it. Crazy!:eek:
I was thinking about this on the way to the office after speaking with you, and it justed pissed me off. :mad: :mad: It pisses me off because folks don't know any better (now some of us do)...they're trusting Toyoter, and now they are screwed without recourse.

I feel your pain, wish I had some advice...not to rub it in, but issues like this prompted me to look over my order sheet, and I'm glad it says front and rear sonar, and not Park Pilot on there.:)

P.S. If any ladies at the gym ask...I am single.;) :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not to appologize for any shady behavior on the part of some dealers, but you've always needed to be pretty informed before stepping into any dealership.

The good news is that the internet (and boards like this) make it much easier than "ye olde days". I was already on my way to knowing what options and colors I wanted and even saving money before I ever saw a 2007 Tundra in the flesh.

It made the actual browsing and buying much easier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on what's happening.

I called the big Toyota and complained Monday. They said I would hear from my dealer's consumer rep. soon. I didn't hear anything so I called Toyota Thursday and they acted suprised that my dealer hadn't called me, and said they would re-contact the dealer and I would hear from them within 24 hours. I waited 24 hours, with no call from dealer, so called Toyota again on Friday. Again they said they would have dealer call me.

First, evidentally the dealer is ignoring them, just like they ignored me. Second, even if they do call me, I doubt anything will happen to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am very lucky because I have a dealership that has always been very straightforward. The old saying, Buyer Beware, applies to everything. Folks before you put your money down make sure you are getting what you really want and expect.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are alot of parts that are only available through SET and GST. TMS likes to offer some of the same parts but usually at a higher price. The park pilot is a part that is only available at SET to my knowledge but not sure about GST. We have alot of customers with the park pilot on there cars and they love it and have no issues with it what so ever.

What is it exactly that you don't like about it?
Probably doesn't like the fact that he is getting a aftermarket part, that is added after it left the factory, when he is led to believe he is getting genuine Toyota parts/accessories. I am glad I don't live in SET/GST area, if I did, I think I would buy outside the area and fly out to pick it up...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update on where i am at with my Park pilot problem.

The Sales manager at my dealership finally called me on Tues. He listened to my problem with getting Park Pilot instead of the factory Sonar, but said the couldn't install the factory Sonar at the dealership. He agreed with me that Park Pilot is an inferior produst.

I told him I'm still not satisfied and he suggested that he would give me a "good deal" on a new truck, like my existing truck, but with factory Sonar. this suggestion got my interest, but I wondered if I would need Vaseline to handle his "good deal".

He said they had a truck similar to mine that had Navigation/Sonar/backup camera/radio combo on it coming in. I didn't mind this since the Park Pilot, radio, and port installed Backup Camera, that I have, cost almost as much as the Navigation etc package. The "joker in the deck" came when he said that i couldn't get the TRD Off Road package with Navigation on the same truck. I know this is BS since several people on this forum, in the SE Toyota region like me, have Navigation and the TRD Offroad package.

I told him that if they got a truck like mine, with factory Sonar to call me to discuss a trade.

So here I sit, still with the crummy Park Pilot instead of factory Sonar. I may never hear from the dealer again, but don't know what recourse I have. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I can definitely see why he is the Sales Manager. He turned a potential unfixable customer service issue into an additional sales opportunity on new Tundra.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am glad I don't live in SET/GST area, if I did, I think I would buy outside the area and fly out to pick it up...
That's what I had to do. That's what StatCoder is doing. I feel sorry for my local dealers but F**k GST and SET. I refuse to do business with either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts