Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TRD package lists engine and gastank skid plates. Nice options when wheeling in areas with branches, trees, or rocks.

Amazingly enough I can't find anywhere that states the Rockwarrior has any added skid plates! This seems just wrong. I would expect the RW to be TRD + the added glitz of the wheels and interior. But this may not be.

It also seems the RW does not come with the tow package that is more understandable.

Can anyone confirm or deny the skid plate and/or tow package on the RW?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Tow Package on my Rock Warrior. As far as additional skid plates, I'm not sure...still have 12" of snow on the ground in some areas and haven't been under the truck since I bought it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
my turd warrior does have tow package, but does not have skid plates. I cant believe it either......doesnt really matter because i bought it for the sport pedals anyway

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my turd warrior does have tow package, but does not have skid plates. I cant believe it either......doesnt really matter because i bought it for the sport pedals anyway
wow that's shocking. Lets market a "rock" warrior and then take the parts off of it that would be important to people actually driving it on rocks... go figure.

You know, Pep Boys has sport pedals for $29.95. ;)

That sport shifter though has me sold! :-D

·
Registered
112 Posts
The skid plate for the gas tank that comes with the TRD offroad package is plastic. Would slow down or deflect some stuff, but it isn't too impressive.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. When I first saw the RW I really wanted one. I was taken in by the glitz. Luckily it took time and was never successful in getting the one I wanted. This gave me time to research this more and more. The skid plate thing was just one more small aspect of my findings.

This led me to finally ditch my search for a RW. I just finished finding and soon to be buying a 4x4 Limited. I am sure I will be much happier. I can spend an extra $3000 and get my tun 4.5" higher with 35's and be a heck of a lot better off.

So, here is a nugget of info from my searching around.

The RW is basically a cosmetic face lift of a Tundra that sits somewere between a base model and a TRD. It is NOT a face lift to a TRD. It is less than that. Yes... LESS.

The RW gets you above base or TRD: Fancy 17" Wheels, 33" BFG AT/KO tires, black rear bumper, Color matched front bumper and surround, RW badging, Metal foot pedal, metal shifter. The interior may be slightly different, not sure if they badge the fabric or whatever.

The RW does NOT get you (without paying extra) that the TRD has:Skid plates, Front tow hooks, Towing package, 18" alloys.

The TRD costs $3110 while the RW costs $3737. Add on the Tow package $660 and skid plates $425 and the RW is now $4882 and you still don't get the front tow hooks.

So to compare a RW to a TRD (if you think the RW is above and beyond TRD) the price comparison is really $3110 for a TRD and $4882 for a TRD RW w/o tow hooks. This is almost $2000 more ($1712).

This isn't a bad increase for all the custom and more rare additions. I was only put off by the fact that the RW is presented to be equipped better than a TRD when in fact its worse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good post. The way to go is get limited 4X4 or limited 4X4 with TRD pkg and you get best of both worlds.

Thanks everyone. When I first saw the RW I really wanted one. I was taken in by the glitz. Luckily it took time and was never successful in getting the one I wanted. This gave me time to research this more and more. The skid plate thing was just one more small aspect of my findings.

This led me to finally ditch my search for a RW. I just finished finding and soon to be buying a 4x4 Limited. I am sure I will be much happier. I can spend an extra $3000 and get my tun 4.5" higher with 35's and be a heck of a lot better off.

So, here is a nugget of info from my searching around.

The RW is basically a cosmetic face lift of a Tundra that sits somewere between a base model and a TRD. It is NOT a face lift to a TRD. It is less than that. Yes... LESS.

The RW gets you above base or TRD: Fancy 17" Wheels, 33" BFG AT/KO tires, black rear bumper, Color matched front bumper and surround, RW badging, Metal foot pedal, metal shifter. The interior may be slightly different, not sure if they badge the fabric or whatever.

The RW does NOT get you (without paying extra) that the TRD has:Skid plates, Front tow hooks, Towing package, 18" alloys.

The TRD costs $3110 while the RW costs $3737. Add on the Tow package $660 and skid plates $425 and the RW is now $4882 and you still don't get the front tow hooks.

So to compare a RW to a TRD (if you think the RW is above and beyond TRD) the price comparison is really $3110 for a TRD and $4882 for a TRD RW w/o tow hooks. This is almost $2000 more ($1712).

This isn't a bad increase for all the custom and more rare additions. I was only put off by the fact that the RW is presented to be equipped better than a TRD when in fact its worse.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good post. The way to go is get limited 4X4 or limited 4X4 with TRD pkg and you get best of both worlds.
And that is exactly what I did! :) I was also amazed that the TRD package for the limted was $70. What exactly was missing?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Umm... I have the RW with tow hooks. The 2010 did NOT come with those stupid "sport" pedals though. I do have the tow package though.

I bought my RW because I like the stock All Terrain tires and I wanted a white truck with black interior. I could not find a white Tundra with black interior without the RW package, and I did not like the stock tires. It would have cost me around $1000 to replace the stock tires with decent ones.

The stock skid plates are worthless in terms of actual off roading. I agree that with a name like Rock Warrior you would expect more off roading capabilities. The name is pretty stupid and I intend to take the graphics off this spring when the weather is nicer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Skid plates (fore and aft) and tow package (a $660 extra option) came with my Crewmax RW as well.

What was missing was the sport pedals (it had the sport shifter)...odd, as Toyota advertises it as standard on the rock warrior package, and the test model I drove had them. Maybe had something to do with recall which was announced the day before I picked up the truck.

Another odd thing was the dealer took it upon itself to drill four holes in the front bumper grille for the plate bracket. Better hanging brackets seem to be out there--just cost a bit more. I plan to call them on it.

I like the RW package overall though. Great truck, incredible engine.

Chris (Cortez1521)

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2010 DC RW package has tow hooks, skid plates, tow package, sport shifter/pedals, etc....

Maybe it depends on the region you buy it in?

Toyota website has the RW listed as a special TRD package, not as a subset of the TRD package:

Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
Just about everyone I have seen have those. I think the dealers know people will complain if they are less than a TRD. However, look at your sticker. I'm pretty sure those were added costs beyond the RW.

I like the RW don't get me wrong. I was just put off when my research found that model/package isn't what most would expect without paying more. The dealers know though to just tack that stuff on anyway. So any RW you get will be more $$ than the cost of a RW.

No biggie, just made me a gnats wing more alert with my purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Checked my sticker:

Sport shifter/pedals were listed as part of the RW package.

Tow Hooks and skid plates were listed as code TO under Standard Equipment (along with the 6.5 foot bed; thank God they put that on there, right?)

So, I'm not sure how people would be getting variations in standard equipment from one RW to the next. I know there are 3 different levels of RW package but that wouldn't affect standard equipment..... :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, I just bought my RW about a month ago in PA. It came "standard" with front tow hook and engine skid plate. No sport pedals but did have the sport shifter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The majority of the cost in the Rock Warrior package is in the wheels and tires.

The forged 17" TRD alloys on the RW are probably twice the price of the cast 18" alloys on the regular TRD package and the All Terrain T/A KO tires are 1/2 again more expensive than the Rugged Trail tires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Rock Warrior has a engine and transfer skid platers just like the Off Road.The difference is the Rock Warrior has a partial fuel tank skid plate instead of a Full Fuel Tank skidplate like the Off Road...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts