Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '10 Crewmax came with the Toyota drop in bedliner. This is fine and the similar one on my '01 served me well for 9 years. I primarily haul dirt bikes and gear, tool boxes, gas cans, stands, and other scratchy stuff. My biggest complaint with these is that when unloading a bike down the ramps, and dragging the front brake, the bedliner shifts in the bed under the traction of the tire. What I'd like to do is remove the bedliner, and coat the bed with a textured roll on product. Not the whole bed though, just spot coat it where the contact points are (over the paint scuffs). I don't want to sand and prep the entire bed. This will also solve that problem although not a big deal to me. I could also prep and coat the mating areas of the liner bottom as well. Seems like that would provide good traction amd eliminate movement. Anyone try this? Any feedback on the products adhesion to the plastic bedliner material? Thanks.

Also, I do not want to ditch the drop in and do a Line-X.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I suppose it'll work, but it'll look awfully half-assed if you ask me. Herculine the whole bed if you're going to do it. And, if you REALLY want to add value to your truck, do Linex and throw the drop in back over it.

-rockstate

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a function over form thing, the drop in will stay so who cares what it looks like underneath. Paint gets scuffed off anyway. LineX can always be done later. I like the drop in as its easy to clean and has better dent protection, plus its paid for and I'd rather put the $$ toward an extended warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2004 Tacoma had the drop in liner, but did not protect the top of the bed rails. I guess you might call them 3/4 bed liners. I removed the liner and bought a gallon of Rhino lining at Walmart for around $39.00. I did the whole bed, including the inside and top of the rails (by masking off about a 1/2" down the outside from the curve of the body panel). Then dropped the liner back in.
This worked great, and when I put on a fiberglass bed cover, the rails were protected from wear. Looked as good as the day I finished it 3 years later when I traded for the tundra!
:worshiptoyota:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
im with you on the fact that the liner stays there so who cares what it looks like underneath...

but for what its worth, my yota drop in liner doesnt shift at all....but if it did, i'd probally just put a row of self tapping screws along the end by the tailgate, just screw it into the bed and it wont shift...but ive never had a drop in liner shift enough to even be noticeable...and have loaded bikes and other stuff in there but thats really weird to have it shift enuf to even see it move..vibrate maybe enough to slightly scuff the paint underneath but not move fore and aft....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a big problem, but I can make it move a little and it has scufffed the bed paint up in spots I can see when I lift it at the rear, which is normal. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this. I hate to drill into the truck if I don't have to. Lots of salt here in the winter and that might be asking for trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts