Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 month ago to the date I was driving one night and lost it on a highway on-ramp. My '02 Tundra Access-Cab 4X4 started to skid. I over-corrected and brought the back end around 180 degrees. As the passenger side tires skidded off of the asphalt they grabbed when they hit the dirt. The truck rolled over one time and came to rest on it's wheels. No injury and no airbags deployed and only the drivers' side window broke completely out. My passenger and I walked away with minor scrapes from glass fragments, that's it!

So I went right back out and bought another Tundra. This time an '04 double-cab 4X4. Toyota has proven to me it will hold up to a crash. I've always known they will hold up to the off-road abuse, but I am a all around believer in Toyota quality now.

Take a look at the before and after photos of the truck. Toyota Tundra - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
They really are built tough, Glad you and your passenger are o.k though, and were both able to walk away! Btw love the color of your tundra same color as my Sequoia.

·
7,925 Posts
Did you drive the '02 home? Dammit dude. Wow.

Hey - you got the best colored truck out there in an 04 DC. Of course, I may be a little biased:D

Glad you and the passenger are alright.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, 1st i'm glad your both O.K.
this is a good reason to post.
i belive my hellwig front & rear sway bars & my tire's, & always good pad's.
helped me in several bad situations i had.
i know if i didn't have them i to would have rolled my tundra.
now that i have other mod's, i had no choise but to add much better rotors & pad's.
i still haven't reached the 1000mile mark for brake in. but i'm almost 1/2 way there.
no rush.
but i noticed today i have a higher pedal than oem.
my oem rotors were never cut, & i had only 3000miles on front pads when i did this change.
so as they brake in, it seem's to me, the pedal is much better.

there are certain thing's many of us should do, to ensure safty.
sometimes it's un-avoidable, we know that.

but it could help if we upgraded a few items:
Hellwig sway bars- front & rear
Tires- wider & V,Y,Z rated- such as HANKOOK ventus ST
Rotor's/pad's/brakes-better than oem, like EBC,etc
glad your o.k. ,& got another tundra,
gorilla

·
Registered
756 Posts
I would say the strongest statement made was the fact that he went out and got another one. Glad to hear everyone is o.k. Driving is a simple task until the unexpected rears its ugly head. Enjoy that new to you DC. Gorilla knows the fastest AC are white but the fastest DC only come in Salsa Pearl! lol... Glad your ok man, keep the wheels on the ground this time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually drove the truck home from the tow lot. Cops would not let me drive it home from the accident; they said it was not drivable. So I had to pay the impound fee and got it out the next morning. That made the insurance company happy they only had one day of storage to pay me back for.

The truck landed on all four wheels, motor still running and other than low visibility, it drove fine. I drove it out of the grass and back onto the shoulder of the road. The windshield was raining down glass shards, the drivers side window was hanging out the door held together by the tint and the mirrors were gone, but the motor sounded like normal. Radiator was punched so it overheated on the way home from the tow lot. Parked it in the garage and tried to negotiate with the insurance adjuster for the Bridgestone Dueler Revo tires and some other parts I had on it. She made me a good payment for my loss so I did not feel too bad about leaving all the goodies on it. I guess it's time to start again.

I wonder if the 2.5 inch leveling kit had any effect on the center of gravity and the potential to roll. It happened so fast that I couldn’t say if it was close to not going over or went without any hesitation.

Thanks for the good wishes. Keep the rubber on the road next time!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I actually drove the truck home from the tow lot. Cops would not let me drive it home from the accident; they said it was not drivable. So I had to pay the impound fee and got it out the next morning. That made the insurance company happy they only had one day of storage to pay me back for.

The truck landed on all four wheels, motor still running and other than low visibility, it drove fine. I drove it out of the grass and back onto the shoulder of the road. The windshield was raining down glass shards, the drivers side window was hanging out the door held together by the tint and the mirrors were gone, but the motor sounded like normal. Radiator was punched so it overheated on the way home from the tow lot. Parked it in the garage and tried to negotiate with the insurance adjuster for the Bridgestone Dueler Revo tires and some other parts I had on it. She made me a good payment for my loss so I did not feel too bad about leaving all the goodies on it. I guess it's time to start again.

I wonder if the 2.5 inch leveling kit had any effect on the center of gravity and the potential to roll. It happened so fast that I couldn’t say if it was close to not going over or went without any hesitation.

Thanks for the good wishes. Keep the rubber on the road next time!!!!
I would probably remove that leveling kit and just keep it at Stock ride height. How much tread was left on the Tires when you had the accident.

·
Registered
313 Posts
my ex's older brother rolled his truck twice off the the highway and down an embankment, and he also walked away unscathed. he wasn't able to drive it, due to where it ended up, but still saved his life.

another buddy of mine rolled his tacoma three times across somebody's front lawn going around a corner, pushed it back onto its wheels, and drove it up onto the flatbed (like to OP, the cops wouldnt let him drive it home)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tires had about 4000 miles on them, so pretty much still a great amount of tread on them. Maybe too much for the situation. Either way, you can't take a 30 mph curve at 65 in a 4X4 and expect a lot of forgiveness. Hell of a fun time trying until it goes the other way!!!:devil:

·
7,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
. . . . . . and that'll just buff right out - no need to call the insurance company . . . .
Now that is funny!!!!! I cannot express how much I love my truck.... Although my wife bought it for me I almost devorced her when she ran the side in to the garage door pillar cutting the corner too tight... LOL

My son is due tomorrow and I feel much safer driving with him in the truck seeing what i saw now...

I do have to admit that no going 65 through a 35 corner anymore... LOL

Come to think of it i just got a rear sway bar from Hugemoose on here and wnt through an on ramp the other day and as I gunned it to get ahead of the 75MPH traffic I drifted it through the corner accross two lanes. I admit it was way too fast but luckily there was no other cars. It just cought me off guard and I was amazed at how stable the truck was through all the excitement!!!!

I am glad you are ok and i am happy you bought another Tundra!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad both of you were okay! I flipped my Frontier over a year ago and it got smashed a little more than your Tundra. It makes me feel safer knowing that our trucks hold up this well because going upside-down can be a little bit scary!

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the tailgate wasn't messed up I'd buy it from you. Its even the same color as mine! Bet you miss that truck. I know I love mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I flipped my Frontier over a year ago and it got smashed a little more than your Tundra. It makes me feel safer knowing that our trucks hold up this well because going upside-down can be a little bit scary!
I agree. Maybe fun for a second, but the pucker factor took care of that real quick.:amen: I'm glad to see they both held up enough to protect the passenger cabin and those inside. Modern safety standards are a good thing I would have to say.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree. Maybe fun for a second, but the pucker factor took care of that real quick.:amen: I'm glad to see they both held up enough to protect the passenger cabin and those inside. Modern safety standards are a good thing I would have to say.
Yeah, it's kind of like a roller coaster, but it'd be a lot funner if it wasn't my truck haha... Yes they are, I'm very pleased with these trucks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts