Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I went shopping for an AVALANCHE last weekend and came home with a 2008 TUNDRA DC !! Fantastic truck.

Now I'm exploring mods and accessories... and am interested in a rolling tonneau cover.

I've narrowed it down to RETRAX, BAK(the rollup cover - not the flip), PaceEdwards, ROLLnLOCK, and TRUCKCOVERSUSA.

I plan on occasionally putting two moroycycles in the bed and envision that the front tires would butt up right against the tonneau cover storage canister with the cover completely open.

I'm very surprised to discover (from my limited shopping at accessories stores) that the tonneau cover does NOT completely retract into the canister... there's a few inches left sticking out. Seems to me that the motorcycle front wheels would hit this protruding part... not good.

So here's the specific questions(s):

When completely opened - do all of these style covers leave a little bit protruding ??

Which one has the least amount of rail-into-bed intrusion. In other words - which one leaves the widest bed opening.

Yes... I've searched through many threads and didn;t find this specific info.

THANK YOU all for all of the wonderful information and the help posted here.

Steve W
Southern California

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Do you need to lock that space? If not, you might consider a soft tonneau. I have the LoPro QT from Truxedo and am very happy with it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I got the Pace Edwars Bedlocker and love it. It is electric and opens with a remote on your keys. There are some pics of mine

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Just my opinion:

Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit: Vinyl laminated aluminum-Nothing wrong with the cover, but the vinyl is not as good as alumium.

PE Full Metal Jack Rabbit: Better than the Jack Rabbit, but for the price, the TCUSA is a better cover.

TCUSA: The strongest of the bunch, but it's expensive. There are 4 drain tubes instead of the usual 2. You will need to drill a couples of holes at the rear of the bed just below the stake pockets. Otherwise, it's a good cover. Be sure to get the optional "keyless entry". The term is a little misleading, but you'll want it anyway. The install is more difficult that the other covers.

Retrax: For the price, it's probably the best bang for your truck. But, the canister is fairly large. The Lexan won't fade, the powdercoated rails need to be waxed occassionally. But, all powdercoated stuff needs to be waxed, even on the other covers. A few people don't like the shiny look of the Lexan, but I think it looks great as well as many others. Very easy installation.

Bak (RollBak): I'm not a fan of Bak products. I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm very surprised to discover (from my limited shopping at accessories stores) that the tonneau cover does NOT completely retract into the canister... there's a few inches left sticking out. Seems to me that the motorcycle front wheels would hit this protruding part... not good.
On my PE Full Metal Jackrabbit, the roll top sticks out 2" from the canister plus another 1" for the tailgate seal. With the explorer rails, it impinges ~2" into the bed width on each side.

One thing to consider (if you haven't already): the top of the canister is 17" off the bed; the motorcycle tire should make contact with the canister at half the motorcycles front tire diameter off the bed. What's the diameter of the motorcycles front tire?

PS: I love the PE FMJ, looks great and is very secure. I really like the explorer rail system, but it sounds like that might not be a high priority for you.

·
Registered
819 Posts
"Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit: Vinyl laminated aluminum-Nothing wrong with the cover, but the vinyl is not as good as alumium"

I think all Pace Edwards are powder coated like my Bedlocker.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a retractable cover om a previous truck. I would never get one again.

They are very noisy, heavy, take up bed space, not easy to remove like the fold-a-cover I have now.

·
Registered
819 Posts
"They are very noisy, heavy, take up bed space, not easy to remove like the fold-a-cover I have now."

"I had a retractable cover om a previous truck. I would never get one again."

Get an electric one, push of a button and it opens in about 20 seconds. I will never have a truck without one. Best mod to the truck.:first:

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I am happy with my Truxedo Truxport. I have not lost any bed space. It rolls up extremely easily. When rolled up, it sits almost flush on the back rail. Here is a pic of it rolled up and with my bed full of baby furniture.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Steve,

Obviously we all have our personal preferences. Communicate with 123Gone. He does installs of different brands and many of us value his opinion.

Click on his name in his above post and you'll see the option to send him a Private Message (PM).

Let us know what you end up with and get pix up for the next guy.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I think all Pace Edwards are powder coated like my Bedlocker.
No sir, the PE Jack Rabbit is not, but the PE Full Metal Jack Rabbit is.

The FoldACover G4 Elite is a neat cover, but it's REALLY hard to install the rails correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the information... I'm gonna take a good look at the Explorer Rails with the PE.

Spenser24 - thanks for the WELCOME banner...

South Coast Stu - good call on the tire diameter... I'll be measuring that...

Steve W
Southern California

1 - 14 of 14 Posts