Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to get a roof rack to mount my roof top tent. I made a roll bar for my trailer that I currently have it on but I'd like to have it on the truck for an upcoming trip.
The tent weighs about 150 pounds at most, adding two people and some gear and that's another 400 pounds.
Normally these bolt to the stock roof rack on trucks like Land Cruisers.
Any suggestions? I'd rather it be over the cab but I can mount it behind it over the bed too. If I use a bed mounted rack it would have to be adjustable.
Here is how it sits now.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I like it -- Safari style, to keep the lions out. Don't forget to make a sign you can hang that says, "if you see the tent a rocking, don't come a knocking....."

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, Ha, I'll have to look for one of those!

C'mon, any suggestions?
I don't feel like breaking out the tube bender at this point, would rather something I can just bolt on and pull off. If I pull out the bender then I have to get tube and design a killer rack that will look like a roll cage. Don't want to spend that much time right now.

If no other suggestions I'm just gonna go to Harbor Freight, pick up a contractor rack and make that work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check on Expedition Portal for ideas.

I know I saw a guy that built a pair of braces across the bed to mount the tent to, and it was removable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rockpig- What did you figure out? I am looking at getting a similar tent. I saw an article in Four Wheeler magazine that had a Tundra that was hooked up real nice and they had a roof tent. The name of the company is Expedition One but they do not advertise those racks on their website.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What about some of the rack mounts from Yakima or Thule? Check out their selections for roof mountings. Their set weight limits will be exceeded while you are in the tent sleeping, but those numbers were set with windloads and dynamic maneuvers in mind. You would be surprised how stout their equipment really is.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rockpig,
Please explain the reason for having the tent on top,
Other than areas subject to flood, snakes, scorpions & other such vermin.
You don't want to encourage Bears to claw up your vehicle.
When I camp, I prefer to set up camp, then I often venture out to various surrounding areas to explore, returning to base to relax, cook, sleep. It seems an additional hassle to set up & take down every time one needs to use the truck. Plus extra wind resistance.
Not to mention, if you get up to take a leak in the middle of the night... OOPs
I have a fiberglass (ARE) CAP with both a YAKIMA MegaWarrior (with extension) AND a YAKIMA LoadWarrior (with extension) over both Cab & CAP.
There is a lot of very usable space above these TUNDRAs going to waste.
I carry canoes, kayaks, ladders, lumber, pipe and more on these overhead Cargo baskets/crossbars. Yakima has a host of accessories, though not strong enough to hold the weight your seeking.

BCE

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Helzbelz- I don't think that front bumper is a one off. If you look at Expedition One's website they sell them. Other websites like Sierra Expeditions have similar bumpers for sale.

@TNriverjet- I have looked at the Thule or Yakima racks but they don't look as sturdy as the Tundra on Expedition One's website. I am sure the Thule and Yakima racks are strong enough but it is also a matter of aesthetics and they don't look as mean as Expedition One's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts