Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to put a roof top tent on their truck? I am considering building my own frame above the bed to do so. I have heard that a shell will not hold the tent. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am a noob and have attempted the search feature to find info on this subject. If i have erred please forgive me and point me to the thread and i will not bother anymore. Thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
The make soft shell / collapsible toppers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks like it would be easier to make a "bed top" tent. Haul it in the bed, lay the floor crossways on the bed rails, and pitch the tent. Some sturdy plywood, a Walmart tent, and a little imagination should just about do it.

Really windy nights might get interesting. Also gotta remember where you are when step out of the tent in the middle of the night to take a whiz.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Since Spenser24 mentioned it, here is a picture of my soft topper. Easy as pie to put up and collapses in minutes.
00ardnut,

who is the manufacturer of this soft top. i like the simple design. do you think that this design would mount easily on a truck that has a retractable tonneau cover?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Softopper out of Boulder, CO. I think the website is softopper.com. I don't think you would be able to mount it when a retractable cover is in place. It uses clamps that go under the bedrail and sits flush on the rails. I have gone across the country with it on and it held up great w/ no leaks or water getting inside (and that's saying a lot going through Kansas thunderstorms). That pic was from Rocky Mountain Natl park - what a great place!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all that have posted. I am thinking more like #2 Remmy. The ideal set up would be for the tent to be on top of the rack i build so the kids can sleep up top, and that would give the underneath part enough room (similar to a camper shell with a carpet kit) so that the wife and i could be underneath or if i'm at work the youth could be uptop and us staff underneath. Then i can pull away the ladder so they can't run away... lol.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have a project in mind but, it won't be for a while. Baby boy will be arriving any week. I've thought about the softtopper and the can-backs but, I'm thinking I can build something of my own to fit my needs at the fraction of the cost. If you check out ebay, you can get a good amount of the sunbrella fabric to use for what ever you want.

I'd like to see what others have created...

Also check out expeditionportal.com for ideas and stuff like this.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
here's one that's not quite as fancy as the aluminum bottomed ones that fold out and have a ladder. nor as expensive. if i were going to buy one it would probably be this one:

Adventure Truck Tent

this one will fit over my retractable tonneau cover. it'll fit over a tool box too.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: TheGryme

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Look on expedition portal... the topic has been beaten to death over and over again. they have a metric **** ton of information on RTT's.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My first bed rack with square tube. I made it around my Tepui and it didn't fit my CVT very well after I upgraded to a tent with different features from a better brand.

My bed rack version 2.0 is much lower profile-

I got rid of my Tepui after dealing with their customer service and being inappropriately blamed for a manufacturing defect as a result of my neglect. Got a CVT and couldn't be happier with the customer service or the product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts